Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Death in Yellowstone (book)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 31, 2013 08:38AM
This book has been around for almost two decades but finally had a chance to read it. The first chapter is dedicated to incidents involving hot springs so may be of interest if you are into reading. Not for those with a light stomach. The springs in that park average around 200F in parts and are dangerous as can be, although there is one area that is acceptable for soaking inside park boundaries I'm aware of, only one. When I visited it last three years ago in May (opening week) it reminded me that I maybe shouldn't be there, as you are on top of the only super volcano on the continent and it's somewhat unnatural to have the ground boiling on the hiking trails.

Anyways, the book focuses mostly on ignorance of the public when it comes to our wilderness areas, which have resulted in death. Some of the stories make you shake your head, like parents that place their kids on a bear for a photograph. People's stupidity can never be underestimated and it goes way back to the 1800s. There was a brief mention of one man who sued a national park after being struck by lightening within the boundaries. As you can imagine the constant battles between lawyers and rangers have resulted in the many prohibitions and warning signs to compensate. Hopefully the day will not come where all areas will be blocked off.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/432684.Death_in_Yellowstone
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Death in Yellowstone (book)

mohave1484December 31, 2013 08:38AM

Re: Death in Yellowstone (book)

Paul P.1235December 31, 2013 09:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login