Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

1-5-2013 Trip report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 06, 2013 11:15AM
There were no breeze and no clouds in the sky at 11 am when I got to the Freedom trail head. There were 4 other parked vehicles and the Bowen ranch parking area appeared full and busy. Except for the crowd it seemed to be a perfect day to be here.
When I got to the springs the Arizona pool did not have room for even one more person so I headed for the Anniversary pool. When I got there there were 2 motor bikes coming down the trail. I informed them that there was a 500$ fine and law enforcement would probably confiscate their bikes too. They said they did NOT care. I said I did not care either. As I sat in this pool I learned that they were with a larger group of friends who had hiked in from the spillway. They had a large amount of beer and whiskey. As they got louder and ruder I went over to the Womb pool where I met some fellow hot spring lovers who knew me from my days when I frequented the Gold Strike hot springs. It was very good to see them. They go to the Burning man art festival every year and they had camped at DCHS. They were leaving this morning so they could go to Remington hot springs to camp. My kind of hot springer's.
When I finally made it over to the Arizona pool there was a group of Israelites who remembered me from their April trip to the springs. They had taken pictures of me cleaning up the pools. It was good to see and talk with them again.
About 1 pm I took out my thermometer and took the temps again. The creek temp at the spot just up stream from the Arizona pool was 45 degrees.
All pool temps were taken at the center of the pools and near the surface.
The Arizona pool was 105 and it was only about 1 and 1/2 feet deep.
The Anniversary pool was at 107 degrees.
The Womb pool was at 98 degrees.
The Serenity pool was at 108 degrees.
The Crab cooker pool was 110 degrees. This is cooler than the rest of the year because the sun does not shine on the rocks heating it up more. About another month and that should change again.
The source beside the Pacific Coast Trail was 120 degrees. It too is cooler this time of year.
When I got to the springs just after 11 am there were I estimate 40 persons at the springs. As the day went on I estimate more than 70 persons were scattered around the area. Everyone I came into contact with were enjoying the place as much as possible with no problems. There was one group complaining about the mean man at the Bowen ranch. But I did not let them get me down.
Another great day to be in paradise !
ENJOY!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

1-5-2013 Trip report

jobe2602January 06, 2013 11:15AM

Re: 1-5-2013 Trip report

jobe999January 07, 2013 03:17PM

Re: 1-5-2013 Trip helicopter

LVDG5121072January 15, 2013 11:44PM

jobe832January 17, 2013 11:43AM

mohave893January 17, 2013 11:26PM

Cairngorm1374January 18, 2013 06:13PM

Wizard902January 17, 2013 11:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login