Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report 12-7-12

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 08, 2012 01:45PM
We arrived at the Hunter's camp trail head at 11 am. It was clear and very sunny with no wind what so ever, not even a small breeze. The temperature was in the mid to upper 70's I can only guess.
When we got to the springs there were only about 1 dozen persons, all regular hot springgers. All I knew by name. There was no breeze at the springs either. The first thing I noticed was a Kingfisher bird. I have seen this bird almost every time I get to the springs. After discussing this bird with a known regular hot springer, who does not want his identity reveled here, I came to the conclusion that it was not a Woodpecker like I thought before. He is a beautiful specimen and I always am glad to see him and he was very active.
After making the rounds and saying hello to the regulars I soaked in the Arizona pool. Somebody, and I think I know who, I noticed the sand bags have been altered to make this pool deeper. There are too many sand bags to give this pool a natural feel however. The soaking was nice and the temp was excellent and I drfted off into a nap for about 10 - 20 minuets. When I woke up the bird loveing regular whom I spoke of earlier was standing above me. He asked if there was something I did not like here ? I informed him that he knew the answer to that. He said he agreed and would be fixing things there when he got the time too. The pool was @ 2 feet deep. I filled my water bottles up at the source there, then I put my bottles into the creek to cool them off.
Then I went to the Anniversary pool to soak. It was very clean as some one (a regular) had been keeping it that way. There were 8 persons there from Irvine who had never been to the springs. So I told them about the history of the place breifly and told them the names of the pools. They wanted to know which pool was my favorite, I said the womb. So they followed me there.
While soaking in the Womb with them they said they had found this place from the internet. I noticed the Womb was extremely clean of debris. This was because the Monday previous me and a friend had taken my hose and spent 1 and 1/2 hour cleaning the dead algea and anything else out of the pool. It was nice to see the fruit of our labor of love. The temp here was probably 102 degrees, I guess again. This is the time of year where the sun does not shine in the pools there because it is too low in the sky. It will be getting higher in the sky in 3-4 weeks. As always a terrific soak.
I continued onto the serenity pool to soak. Some one had blocked the water coming into this pool from the Crab Cooker pool useing sandbags. Making the pool too cool even cooler than the Womb pool. So, I rearranged them letting the hot water back in. Then I sat there letting the heat warm me all over. Warming me up enough to go over to the Crab Cooker pool.
While at the Crab Cooker pool other people arrived at the beach and then crowding me out from the CC pool.
So I rounded the rocks and soaked in the Contemplation pool. It was maybe 80 degrees I'm guessing again. While contemplating here a family with small kids came over and took over the area so I let them. Still a great soak. Even on a week day it can get too crowded. however I think that not more than 30 persons were at the springs during the day.
About 4 pm we started the trek up mofo hill as the sun made beautiful shades of pink, orange, white, grey and many shades in between. Making for a great hike out as a small cool breeze began.
While driveing out we came across a SKUNK ! It was in the middle of the road where you make the second right turn then go to the top of the first hill. When I saw him I thought I must be mistaken. He was at the top of the hill in the middle of the road at first I assumed he would move over and get out of the road. Instead he ran rather slowly straight down the middle of the road, he did not turn to the side until he was at the bottom of the hill, maybe, 100 yards later. Of course I had to give this critter plenty of room as I left. The Woman I was with is a 3rd generation Apple Valley resident. She said she had seen skunks out there before, but yes, it was a rare siteing.
Another great day at my favorite springs !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2012 12:35PM by jobe.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report 12-7-12

jobe1982December 08, 2012 01:45PM

Re: Trip Report 10-7-12

neogeo1340December 08, 2012 11:30PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login