Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Fee Demo

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 23, 2002 01:14AM
OK, I know I will be crucified on this board for holding this opinion, but I do not oppose the Forest Pass fee. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it -- no one wants to have to pay for something that used to be free -- but neither do I oppose it. The reason is this: Just as DCHS has suffered from increased visitation over the past few years, on a larger scale so have all of Southern California's forests in general. Increased visitation means increased costs to administer and maintain the "facilities". Now this increased cost could simply be built into the Forest Service budget in which case it would be distributed to and paid for by all citizens via their Federal income tax. But is it fair to tax someone in Iowa for the increased use of Southern California's forests? The idea behind the fee is to make those who use the facilities bear the burden of the upkeep of those facilities. And, although it may not be structured this way at present, it has the potential for "local control". In other words, if we are required to pay a usage fee (that's what it is) then we should be able to have some say so in how that money is spent. That will be the challenge, to ensure that we who pay the fee have direct input as to how the money is spent.

So as I said in an earlier post, that my 2 cents. I'm sure "Free Our Forests" will have something to say about this, and I'm sure I'll be sent down in flames!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Fee Demo

Lyle 1125May 22, 2002 09:53PM

mp 596May 23, 2002 01:14AM

DCR 615May 23, 2002 07:25AM

Free our forests 560May 23, 2002 11:48AM

mp 561May 24, 2002 10:12AM

Lyle 1017May 25, 2002 09:55AM

Free our forests 590May 23, 2002 12:21PM

Wizard 552May 23, 2002 07:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login