Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Disappointed by DCHS

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 11, 2012 09:38PM
Actually more saddened than disappointed. I live in the SF bay area but work in LA, so stay behind in S. Cali. many weekends. I discovered Deep Creek back in May and have since been there five times. When at home, I tend to frequent Secret Cove on the Nevada side in Tahoe. It's not a hot spring but a true naturalist paradise with hardly any textiles, young and old. I was hoping to get the same from DCHS.

The good:
-It's a beautiful secluded location
-Almost everyone I met while at the springs has been friendly and down to earth
-The hot/cold water options are great, especially in cooler weather
-There is a small group of folks that really care to keep the place enjoyable for everyone

The bad:
-Vandalism/graffiti - I have to admit I see this more often in Southern California and just don't get it, but in a wilderness setting ... seriously?; it's unfortunate to those who want to enjoy the outdoors
-Trash - I was there today and was stunned by the amount of garbage, everything from diapers/wipes left on the trail to a pile of glass bottles to a plastic float ... where I was sitting I could see quite a few cans, old clothes and some paper wrappers floating in the water; what is wrong with people?
-Loud music - I would assume most people would go to relax; why is it so hard to enjoy music with your headphones on; actually Secret Cove suffers from the same thing at times, especially from folks that pull up with their powerboats and decide to have a private party, ignorant of those around them
-Textiles to natural ratio - although not much of an issue, I do wish it was truly a more naturalist destination

The first time I was there I met some nice people, which made me want to come back. However, today I left after about an hour. Between music, trash and dogs that kept running unattended - once over my towel, I had a more relaxing time by the pool at the hotel this afternoon. I did pass one free-hiker on the way up. Hopefully things improved later in the day. I'm debating about going back - have some reservations now. Maybe Black's Beach on a Sunday in this hot weather will offer a better balance. I'm hoping I'm not sounding like a disgruntled old man - I'm actually in my 30's and usually have a high tolerance for most things. I just wish there is something I could do to help improve the destination.

mohave | california, usa | mohave@blacksbeachforum.com | http://www.blacksbeachforum.com
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Disappointed by DCHS

mxa2678August 11, 2012 09:38PM

Re: Disappointed by DCHS

neogeo1307August 12, 2012 01:40AM

mxa1085August 12, 2012 02:26AM

Paul P.1116August 12, 2012 08:19AM

mxa940August 12, 2012 09:31AM

neogeo1071August 12, 2012 09:33AM

onemoreguy969August 12, 2012 10:58AM

neogeo890August 12, 2012 01:38PM

mdskibum912August 14, 2012 09:05AM

Sam D.1064August 14, 2012 11:36AM

mxa1349August 15, 2012 09:51PM

Paul P.879August 14, 2012 03:31PM

Sam D.1281August 13, 2012 05:03PM

Paul P.932August 15, 2012 10:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login