All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 09, 2012 02:55AM
Well I made it to the springs but got a later start than I had wanted. I did not get to the Bowen Ranch parking area until 9:30am. I tried a little different route on this trip, on my way up from Long Beach I got off the I-15 at the 138 and headed towards Silverwood Lake. I then took the 173 to the Mojave Forks dam and then I took Arrowhead Lake Road to Rock Springs road. It was a nice change of scenery but I think it took longer to drive in then if I would have done my usual route of coming in off the I-15 on Main street.

When I got to the ranch parking lot there were two different groups breaking down their campsites. It was already very warm out by the time I parked. I disrobed for my free hike in, loaded up my back pack with lots of water, a wire brush and some trash bags. I also carried my trash grabber. I filled up one plastic grocery bag with trash on my way down to the springs. During my hike in I only passed one couple heading back up the trail.

There were about a dozen people at the springs when I arrived, I say about 85% were textile. I crossed the creek, which is barely up to knee deep and set up under the trees by the anniversary pool. Right when I got there I saw Pan leaving the anniversary pool and head over to the trees on the upstream side of the beach. I stepped into the anniversary pool but it was way to hot to soak in so I went to the creek for a swim and then soaked in the womb for a short while.

I was expecting to find a lot of trash at the springs since the Fourth of July was just two days prior to my visit. To my suprise the springs were relativly clear of trash. I took a nap under the trees and went for another swim. I never got a chance to work on the trail graffiti, it was just way too hot. I had to leave during the hottest part of the day....I started my hike out at around 2:30pm. I passed a few different groups coming down as I was going back up. One group was made up of four college age girls, two of them were hiking in topless, then I passed a guy coming down the trail with his dogs and finally right before the parking lot young couple was just starting down the trail.

I see Wizard made it down to the springs on Friday also, but somehow I must have missed him if he was there before I left.

By the time I got to my car I was really sweaty. I poured some water over myself trying to take a crude shower but I was still extremely hot. I decided to just put a towel down on my seat and drive out sans clothing. I did not get dressed until just before Central ave.

It was a good trip, but a lot hotter than what I am used to. If I make it up again during this hot season I will definately try to get a much earlier start and stay later so I don't have to hike in or out during the hottest times of the day. I think I will head to Blacks Beach during the summer months and enjoy the cool ocean breezes.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip report 7-6

lbcalrr2175July 09, 2012 02:55AM

Re: Trip report 7-6

Wizard1048July 09, 2012 12:41PM

lbcalrr1031July 09, 2012 05:50PM

Wizard961July 10, 2012 12:30AM

lbcalrr1030July 10, 2012 11:25PM

Wizard910July 11, 2012 12:07AM

Tipper928July 11, 2012 07:37AM

Wizard996July 12, 2012 12:04AM

celtfire1541July 12, 2012 05:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login