Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

Advanced

June 16

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 16, 2012 08:41PM
I have been hiking to Deep Creek of and on all winter and spring, but with summer coming (or I guess it's here ) I have wanted to do some longer hikes to prepare for hikes I plan later this year in the Sierra. I often hike on various trails in the San Gabriel's, but the clothes free option there is very limited. So this morning I decided to take a longer hike and not just head to the springs. I guess you could call my hike a "Rim to Rim" although it is not the Grand Canyon. I stated at Bradford Ridge, hiked to the Springs and then on to Bowen Ranch. Then hiked back to the Springs, hung out for a hour or so, then back to Highway 173. Something new and kinda fun.

When I first started going to the springs, they were the destination and I hiked to get there. However, more and more I just like the hike. Some people drink to relax, others smoke the strong stuff. I hike to relax, preferably in the buff.

My hike started at around 6:20am and almost immediately I passed a group hiking out. They did not have camping gear, but must have spent the night at the springs. It was quiet at the springs when I arrived (around 7:15 or so). There were a couple tents in the trees by the Arizona Pool and one on the beach. There were also several people just in sleeping bags. I crossed the creek on the rocks above the Arizona Pool and headed for Bowen. I saw a couple on the hill above heading in from the Freedom Trail and passed a group hiking in not far below the Deep Creek sign. At the Forest Service Trail head I passed another group heavy laden with beer, duffle bags, dogs and all sorts of gear. A couple of their number were already tired from coming down the steep hill between Bowen and the Forest Service trail.

You could smell the burnt plants an ground at the Foreset Service Trail. The fire scorched most of the area east of the trail between the Forest Service Area and Bowen Ranch. Only in a few areas did it extend west of the trail. At Bowen Ranch there were probably 3 or 4 parked cars and at least two groups camping, one with a cute little trailer that must have been tough to get down the bad road to the parking area. I sat at Bowen for a few minutes and enjoyed a cool drink, however it was still pretty cool out at 8:00am.

I headed back to the springs and the heavy laden group was right where I left them 20 minutes or so before. They had apparently shifted the loads around and were just getting ready to start down again. I got the feeling that a few of them did not know what this hike was really like. It was a beautiful morning the temperature was just right. Although it would get warm later, the early part of the day is the best.

I had not noticed it going up, but going down I saw saw the glaring ugly graffiti that Celtfire described. What a ugly mess in an otherwise beautiful landscape. By the time I got back to the springs people were up and stirring, in all about 15 or 20, but only a couple of us nude. Within the next hour or so a few additional groups arrived. I spoke to a nice guy who asked me when the best time was to find others nude at the springs. I told him early or late and during the week. He said he wanted to give it a try but needed courage. I said to go for it. Deep Creek is the place. If anyone needs encouragement, just ask. I will, or one of the regulars of this group will show up for support on your visit. It is how I relax!

It was getting warm, but there was a nice breeze up. I soaked a shirt to cool my shoulders and started back to Highway 173. Just before I left the heavy laden group finally made it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 10:13PM by hiker.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

June 16

hiker1515June 16, 2012 08:41PM

Re: June 16

neogeo1312June 16, 2012 09:30PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login