All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 13, 2012 01:01PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to chime in about an unfortunate experience I had at Bowen Ranch with the hopes that someone here can offer some insight.

Monday night I read through all the posts on this site, eager to visit Deep Creek and avoid a lot of the mistakes first-timers make. I've done enough camping and hiking to know how to behave and treat the environment, but that every place is unique in its own way. There were a lot of postings regarding how the spot has changed, how people have become less respectful of the privilege of the nearby hot springs we're all so fortunate to have. It was also disheartening to hear how a convicted pederast was able to find refuge nearby, though it was good news he was apprehended.

I'd read about the fire, though didn't see anything about closures to the area. So Tuesday morning I packed some provisions, filled up on gas, and headed out to Bowen Ranch in my little Honda. I arrived at a sign that read "No Entry After 10pm. No Exceptions." Not seeing any signs regarding cars or parking, I drove forward and came to a kind of forked culdesac with a house on the left and a lot of old vehicles in various stages of disrepair on the right. A man looking to be in his late-40s/early-50s emerged from these cars with shoulder-length greyed hair, shirtless with sun-leathered skin. He walked quickly toward me, shouting and pointing back the way I came.

Him: You need to turn around!
Me: What happened?
Him: What happened? You didn't read the F-ing sign, that's what happened. Now turn your F-ing car around and get the F off my property!
Me: I'm sorry, I didn't see---
Him: F your sorry! If you had walked up here, okay. But you drove up so F you! Get the F out of here! I F-ing hate stupid people!
Me: I'm very sorry.
Him: F you!

I wish I was embellishing with how many times he swore. I turned my car around and headed back down the path, looking for any signs along the way that referenced the entry of cars or parking. I saw nothing to that effect. The notion to turn around again and attempt to apologize to the man again came and went. There was a clear sense that his threats would turn physical with little encouragement.

After preparing the night before to come visit what is touted to be a peaceful healing atmosphere, my experience was something far beyond disappointing. It's reasonable to think coming to the springs on a weekday afternoon would lend itself toward a much calmer first-time experience. The desert is a land of extremes and sometimes the people whom exist in that land are of extreme personalities. But the tirade I received was violent -- albeit verbally -- when the mistake I made was certainly a reasonable one, one that anyone -- stupid or not -- might have made.

My questions to the community at large are threefold.
• Where is one supposed to leave one's car if one plans to camp overnight?
• Who is that man?
• Is his behavior something anyone should expect?

Thanks very much.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An Unfortunate Introduction to Bowen Ranch

eltopo4454June 13, 2012 01:01PM

Re: An Unfortunate Introduction to Bowen Ranch

DCHS Jaunter2236June 13, 2012 01:35PM

outlaw11985June 13, 2012 09:50PM

eltopo1853June 14, 2012 12:25AM

calidev1925June 14, 2012 02:11AM

calidev1637June 14, 2012 02:16AM

juliankaye1789June 14, 2012 08:10AM

Paul P.1712June 14, 2012 09:17AM

Bowen Rules

coyote1799June 14, 2012 03:39PM

eltopo1438June 19, 2012 01:20AM

eltopo1554June 19, 2012 01:26AM

tjnthesky1509June 19, 2012 05:36PM

sje3331187October 28, 2012 06:55PM

leviclancy1134November 19, 2012 11:23AM

neogeo1138November 19, 2012 01:31PM

hiker1093November 22, 2012 10:39AM

batts10001092December 29, 2012 12:57AM

Paul P.1536December 29, 2012 09:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login