Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

5-20-12 trip report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 22, 2012 07:05PM
I decided as soon as I heard about the eclipse to see it from Deep Creek. As I drove into the area at night it was as if the rabbits and rats knew the day was special because I had to drive extra slow to avoid hitting them. They were all over the road. I slept nearby and headed toward the springs before 5 am. It was a truly beautiful sunrise with a gentle breeze the birds sang until the sun pulled itself above the hills. I felt really blessed to have this opportunity to be here this day.
When I climbed Frog rock across the creek from the springs I could see 8 tents and many others camping on the beach. I usually climb up this rock to get an over view of everything. I was intrigued by the numbers of campers so I went up stream to see how many tents I could count. I counted 38 tents the most I have ever seen. Later in the day I told a jokester in the pools about this and asked him how many people this meant ? he said at least two.?
It turned out as the day went on that most of these campers were through hikers. These are persons who hike on the P.C.T. or Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico 2650 miles to Canada. Most carry a permit that allows for them to legally camp in the Deep Creek Water shed area. To learn more google the Pacific Crest Trail Association. It is a fantastic story telling site too.
Some of the campers were hung over teenagers also. Most of these left during the morning hours.
As I surveyed the area I was shocked at all of the trash. I picked up 10 large bags of trash. And several pieces of clothing and camping gear and piled them onto the beach area across from the pools. Later in the day only @ 3 bags were left behind as volunteers carried them out as the day progressed. Thanks to all who helped with this.
After this I got my shovel out and stated digging the sand out of the Arizona pool again. Some one had breached the dam on the up stream side. I replaced that with sand from the pool.
Then some friends from the area came down the hill and offered me some of their beer. This slowed me down, which oh yea ! that was why I came here in the first place.
At 2:30 I got my thermometer out and took the temps of the pool and creek.
The creek just above the Arizona pool was 72.5 degrees. At the place where most people cross the creek to get into the pools it was 74.5 degrees. This is because the water from the hot springs warmed the creek 2 degrees.
The Arizona pool was 111.4 degrees. This is because the sun shining there warms this pool a little extra this time of year.
The Anniversary pool was 111.7 degrees. Some body had a nylon brush and had rubbed the algae from the side walls. Making this pool extra clean. THANKS !
The Womb pool was 107 degrees. Me and a lovely friend had sucked the dead algae from the bottom of this pool during the early morning. Making it extra clean also. While doing this I found an empty beer can, 2 glow sticks, a flashlight and a gold ring on the bottom.
The Serenity pool was at 104.7 degrees. Some one had cleaned this pool also. THANKS !
The Crab cooker was at 114.4 degrees. It too was nice and clean.
Let's all do something to let our Veterans know that we appreciate the sacrifices they make to make this the greatest country in the history of mankind.
God bless America !
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

5-20-12 trip report

jobe1464May 22, 2012 07:05PM

Re: 5-20-12 trip report

calidev986May 23, 2012 08:07PM

mdskibum769May 23, 2012 08:38PM

SilverAvion1321May 24, 2012 05:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login