Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (98% of Full)


Advanced

Re: Poison Oak warning

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 21, 2012 07:14PM
I hate to say it, but the spreading might be due to the hot baths, rather than just using hot water from the faucet. The oils are getting on the rest of your body in the bath. I know, I recommended hot water, but I meant running water, not standing water. As I say, for me the hotest water you can stand not only feels great, but it dries it out --- and won't spread the oils on other parts of your body if it is running water from a bath faucet.. If it has really become bad for you, and spread all over, you probably want to take Paul's suggestion: Go to an urgent care (if you have the $120 or so) and get a prescription for prednizone. It will take a day or two, but it will work, and in the meantime I suggest hot faucet water (shower even better IF the water is still hot enough after dropping a foot or two -- I always found that it wasn't). You might turn your water heater up so the water from the shower is hot enough to do the trick by the time it drops a few feet to your legs, etc. Good luck. I know how miserable it is.

But here is one bright side: People that get poison oak seem to develop a resistance to it. The first time I had it (Santa Cruz mountains) I pretty much had it all summer. So bad, droplets would form from my wrists (where onetime I had it the worst) and literally drop to the sink or floor. Utter agony. It would get better, I would keep mountain biking...and keep spilling, often tumbling down hillsides through a forest of poison oak. I was usually wearing nothing but shorts and shoes. (I was not a good mountain-biker!). Next summer, same spills, and got the rashes but they were only about half as severe. Third summer, same spills, same contact with the nasty plant -- but not much happened,, just a few merely annoying red marks. Then, as a hiker, I would accidentally brush across it occasionally (in hiking boots and shorts), but nothing happened.

I seemed to be immune for about 10-15 years. Went through a brush of it a year ago, and did get the rash, but it was so mild it was not worth speaking of.

Anyway, I am sure you will always be on the lookout for the stuff now, and hopefully you will never suffer from it again. I know, it is utterly miserable.

By the way, the leaves tend to get redder in the summer. And different plants, in different areas, can look different. Worst of all -- in the winter, stems might have few or no leaves, but the stems themselves have the oils. The good news is that I have never seen nothing but stems in a 2-3 foot area (always, there are leaves somewhere close by) so if you keep a good lookout you should probably be able to avoid it from now on.

Good luck!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Poison Oak warning

lbcalrr2627April 19, 2012 01:09AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

DCHS Jaunter1098April 19, 2012 08:02AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Rick905April 19, 2012 12:32PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Mr_Wayne914April 19, 2012 08:05AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Paul P.840April 19, 2012 12:07PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Rick857April 19, 2012 12:30PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Wizard936April 19, 2012 11:20PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Mr_Wayne834April 20, 2012 05:25AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

mellowguy847April 20, 2012 04:55PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Sam Hobbs1443July 03, 2012 10:41AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

lbcalrr825April 21, 2012 09:01AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

mellowguy919April 21, 2012 07:14PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Rick874April 22, 2012 12:43AM

Re: Poison Oak warning

neogeo911April 21, 2012 07:16PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

mellowguy929April 21, 2012 07:25PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Wizard1031April 22, 2012 03:11PM

Re: Poison Oak warning

Mr_Wayne861May 24, 2012 06:38AM



Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login