Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

10-19 Trip report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 20, 2011 01:39PM
The day started out a beautiful sunny morning. We arrived around 10am at the ranch, parked, packed up and headed down. This was my hiking partner’s first trip so it took us about an hour with all the stops, look, points and talking.

We arrived at the springs to about ten people there, four post HS males playing football and jumping in the creek. They eventually moved upstream after being asked to clean up their mess by the others who were there. We set up camp, explored the pools and area. The creek is getting cooler each visit I make. The pools on the other hand are quite comfortable, and we enjoyed a dip in each.

After a short trip upstream, we met up with some other visitors and ended up picking up a tall kitchen trash bag worth of garbage someone had left under a tree up there. It was the only garbage I spotted all day, after those guys picked up their cans out of the creek and around the pools that is. Very clean and nice out there.

Back at the pools, we enjoyed talking to the other visitors, there were five couples there and most were taking full advantage of their cloths-free option. My hiking partner, who was not herself comfortable with being that free, took it all in stride. We talked to some others, hit the pools again, fixed the shower so it is flowing correctly, visiting with additional newcomers, and simply enjoying the day, simply existing in a mellow atmosphere. Now that is peace at it’s finest!

Knowing what a chore it is for a new hiker to get out of the area, we left our compatriots early, and started the long, slow hike back to the ranch. On the way I noticed something reflective on the hill to the left heading up the first grade… when we got to the top, I broke out the binoculars and finally figured out what it was… someone decided to leave a car on the side of the hill, laying on it’s side about 150 from the top and 250 from the creek bed. I had seen the shine a couple weeks ago and pointed it out but couldn’t figure out what it was… now I know. There’s a newer trail down to it, so someone has been checking it out since it was deposited up there. Now, I will take garbage out with me when I hike out, but that’s a bit too big to carry and off the main trail with a valley between us and it anyway… oh well, leaving that one to the professionals to take care of.

Back in the truck, heading out, my poor, exhausted hiking partner was zoned out, but smiling. I asked if she was going to go out hiking with me ever again… she adamantly told me yes, but maybe only once a month, not weekly like I do.

All in all, a tried and true experience of the creek and springs. When we left out, we left only naturists behind to enjoy the rest of the day.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

10-19 Trip report

Johnny1950October 20, 2011 01:39PM

Re: 10-19 Trip report

DCHS Jaunter979October 21, 2011 08:14PM

Wizard916October 21, 2011 08:26PM

Johnny996October 21, 2011 08:33PM

Wizard1027October 21, 2011 10:47PM

Wizard1431October 22, 2011 11:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login