Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: bradford ridge or creek crossing w/9 year old

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 14, 2011 01:42AM
mgray, I was just a the springs on Saturday 4/9 and hiked in from the Bowen Ranch parking area. The creek crossing was not too terribly difficult. If you take some time and observe others crossing you will find that there are some shallower places than others to cross. I am 6'0" and where I crossed the water was just above my waist. There are some sand bars that angle across and keep you higher out of the water. If you try and go straight across you may find a deep pocket or two where the water will come up to chest level so it is better to take a few minutes and plan your route. The water is clear enough that you can see the shallower spots before crossing. When I was there on Saturday there was an 8 to 10 year old at the springs and he crossed the creek without any issues. Just beware that the water is cold but the hot springs on the other side will warm you up in a hurry. For the return trip across the cold creek some people bring a gallon size water jug to the springs and fill it up with hot water from one of the pools then carry it back across the creek where they will pour the hot water over themselves to warm back up before getting dressed for the hike out.

Regarding the Bradford Ridge trail, I have hiked that also. It is a longer hike and if you don't mind spending the time it is something to try. I personally like to spend more of my time soaking rather than hiking. Both sides of the creek have a steep trail to get up out of the canyon but the Bradford Ridge trail out is quite a bit steeper. Some people find it a lot more difficult than the Bowen Ranch climb out.

I hope you can make it down, the springs are totally worth the effort, be careful, you may get hooked on them and keep coming back again and again! Happy Soaking!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

bradford ridge or creek crossing w/9 year old

mgray1724April 13, 2011 04:54PM

lbcalrr956April 14, 2011 01:42AM

Paul P.1482April 14, 2011 09:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login