All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 15, 2010 07:27PM
By far the most amazing Meteor Shower I ever saw was maybe about 10 years ago ( very roughly ) when there was a unique shower where the meteor material was differant than normal and it caused the streaks across the sky to be very vivid and long lasting ( two to three seconds on average ). I saw at least a handful of very large metoeors that night where the smoke/debris trail left behind lasted for as long as five minutes afterwards, and the trails looked much like what a jet contrail looks like. In the dim moonlight I could actually see these remnant trails quite well with my 10X50 binoculars.

And right as I was going in for the evening I saw one last very unique one which I saw almost directly above me. It started with a sudden bright light that didn't go across the sky like usual but stayed in the same position getting brighter and brighter until it disintegrated in a bright greenish and orange flash. There was a small roundish clould very visible with the naked eye left behind. I looked at it with my binoculars immediately after the event and could see the remnants of this meteor burnout, and I could see the cloud drifting in the strong upper atmosphere winds which clearly showed it had come quite close. I realized that this meteor came out of space headed directly in my direction, a course of a meteor I have never witnessed before. Also the amount of meteors that night was said to be 60 to 100+ per hour according to the local newspaper. I watched them in the early morning hours by laying on a cot in our backyard in my sleeping bag to keep warm as it was a cooler time of year :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 03:21PM by Wizard.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Meteors this week

katrina island1579November 14, 2010 10:57AM

Re: Meteors this week

jcrew798November 15, 2010 05:51AM

Wizard824November 15, 2010 07:27PM

Gary1339November 17, 2010 10:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login