All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 14, 2010 01:09AM
I camped at the Ranch last week and it was in the high 20's with some wind. Down at the Springs Ranger Dave said his reading was 28 on Friday Morning, but we were up to a toasty mid 60s by 1030 when I hiked out. The area has been evolving with a mixture of textiles and non. The weekends swing heavily toward families and children at times. This time of year its mostly various types of Springers and locals who want to party. Mostly to be avoided. If you arrive and hike it at dawn you will be rewarded with a quite locale even if their are others already there. The afternoons are more varied.

If you find a copy of Moon's hiking guide to California it lists the Springs as a 9 out of 10 as a destination.

The last 7-8 miles are dirt and some of it can be fairly rough for a rental car. You'll need to take it easy. I wore out a Hyundai driving it every week. Some rental companies state no gravel roads so check your coverage because accidents do happen especially at dead man's curve. I had some kids bump me at that corner while they were doing over 40 on the blind corner.

As a destination: The Pacific Crest Trail runs behind the Springs. Those of us who are members of the Pacific Crest Trail Association consider it a worthy destination. I usually hike a few miles behind the springs. If you are hikers then you have a reason. Deep Creek is also a natural trout stream for native Brown Trout and is a fly fishermans paradise. Not many come because its quite a hike, but bring your pole and you have another reason to be in the Deep Creek basin. All three are worthy reasons and the scenery is awesome, especially up stream to the steel bridge (8 miles).

Enjoy your day and remember to take a map from Mike. If you've never been down its a good idea to tag along with someone who's been the first time. Bring shoes with good traction and carry plenty of water even now. The air is still dry and if you miss a turn well its good to have. UV has been a 1 at 800 am, a 2-3 at 10, a 3-4 at 11-1, and it falls off the same in the afternoon. Dawn is around 620 and Sunset around 440. Bring a flashlight if you stay later than you planned. It does get dark by 500 pm.

Coyote
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Late November Trip

medelman1810November 12, 2010 08:59AM

Re: Late November Trip

coyote1400November 14, 2010 01:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login