Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Report: Sunday, 10-24-2010

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 27, 2010 08:59AM
Funny thing about the creek temperature. In years past, the chilly waters made me grit my teeth and almost scream when the frigid liquid hit my "stuff." Now, this early in the fall/winter days, the water just feels cool and even pleasant to swim in. Don't get me wrong, I do not like crossing in the middle of winter when the creek temperature is just above freezing. I do it, but I damn sure don't like it.

The trash problem is a societal one. For example, smokers have always dropped their butts in the street, on floors of homes and stores and, of course, everywhere in the wilderness. Before the appearance of filtered cigarettes they weren't a problem as the papers broke down quickly and the strands of tobacco dispersed quickly. Now, the filters on cigarettes are made of plastic and last decades.

Last Sunday I observed a group of out of shape adults arrive from the "goat trail" laden down with heavy folding chairs, ice chests and other paraphernalia that was comparatively easy to carry down the trail, but would make the hike out a laborious one. What would ease their trek? Dumping their trash including heavy clothing, blankets and other refuse behind the rocks and trees near their campsites was apparently part of their solution. I wish the Forest Service could/would appoint trained volunteer Reserve Officers to patrol out of the way hiking and camping sites with citation issuing powers. This recession/depression will probably last a long time and the fate of the wilderness is at stake, at risk from common litterers to truly destructive criminal activities like "tagging" granite boulders and walls with spray paint to dangerous behavior like campfires in extremely flammable locations.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report: Sunday, 10-24-2010

celtfire2050October 25, 2010 05:24PM

Paul P.1072October 26, 2010 08:35AM

deepcreekvip903October 26, 2010 08:41PM

celtfire1670October 27, 2010 08:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login