Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

trip report 6/4

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 04, 2010 10:11PM
I'm blaming Obama. I'm just saying: the last few years almost all my visits to the springs were marred by feeling out of place as a skinnydipper there. The clothing-optional ethos seemed on the wane. Maybe I'm getting lucky, but today again, as on my previous visits this year, things have changed: nudes outnumbered prudes by a wide margin. It was a HOT day. Arrived around 9 am, already HOT. Hiked nude to the springs, only one car in the parking lot at Bowen, passed a couple on the way back up and also a guy pushing his bike uphill (regular bike, with pedals). Just a handful of people present when I arrived after 9:30 am, no real presence of campers but discovered later they were there: some 20-something-year-old guys from the area hiked down Thursday with a keg and were camping in the wooded area upstream. I guess that is called ambition folks. The water is still flowing pretty strong, it will push you downstream if you swim, but the level has gone down a lot since May. And it has warmed up, I'd say around 70 degrees: perfect for swimming. Set up in the shade of the trees by the Arizona pool, and met some hikers, a beautiful woman who is hiking California for 4 months if she can make it that long. She was not the only through-hiker there today, there were a bunch. It was too hot to hike, so they chilled and swam and ate all day at the springs. By the heat of the day, around 3 pm, the rocks were generally foot-burning hot, the pools only for madmen, the sand a field of pain. Super HOT. It had been really calm and quiet all day; by 3, at the height of things, I'd say there were around 20 people at the springs. I'd say about 14 or 15 of them were nude, or going back-and-forth between their clothes and getting nude to jump in the water. I just thought it was a great day. Saw no snakes, lots of lizards and other critters. On the hike out, the young couple in front of me were attacked by something, started screaming and running: realized it was horseflies. They were out in force the whole hike uphill, I've never experienced them at Deep Creek until now. They were constant companions on the way out.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

trip report 6/4

neogeo1885June 04, 2010 10:11PM

Re: trip report 6/4

Paul P.967June 06, 2010 07:34AM

mellowguy897June 10, 2010 09:39AM

neogeo1452June 10, 2010 11:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login