Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

9-23-09 trip report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 26, 2009 06:08AM
I arrived at the Bradford ridge trail head at 12 noon. The first time I noticed the two large pine trees nearby are dying, maybe from the Bark Beetle. After noticing this I saw one of the largest Hawks I have ever seen. He was so large I thought he was an eagle when I first spotted him.
As I went down the trail I noticed some one had been working on the trail. Then at @ 1/2 mile down the trail I noticed a tall man with a shovel digging on the trail, I spent @ 5 minuets complimenting him for his good deed. This was the same guy I have seen on this trail @ 15 years ago. After the willow fire. I also saw him planting trees at the hot springs. He made the trail much nicer to be on.
When I got to the hot springs A pair of love birds were in the big pool. So, I went over to the shade trees and set up camp. It was 105 when I arrived. Making for a one hour hike in. I noticed some one had left a torn sleeping bag in this area and a collapsed tent was on the beach. When I settled in with my book I noticed a colorful marijuana pipe with some sweet smelling herbs on the tree root beside me. Not wanting to fail any drug test I offered it to the only person nearby. He too refused to be tempted. He was from Las Vegas and recognized me as the guy who takes care of Gold Strike hot springs. We had a long conversation about all of this.
At 2:30 I got my thermometer out to get the temps. The air temp was 84.8 degrees.
When I went to the Arizona pool it was 103.8 degrees all temps are taken at the center of the pool near the surface.
The temp in the creek just upstream from the Arizona pool was 74.8 degrees. I went down stream from the other pools and the creek temp was 76.8 degrees.
Then I got in the pool just below the large pool the temp was 105.0 degrees.
Then I got into the big pool and the temp there was 103.2 degrees.
I went to the crab cooker the temp there was 113.5 degrees. The temp at were the pipe was was 116.5 but at the big squirt just below the pipe was 117.9 degrees.
When I got to the Anniversary pool it was 103.6 degrees.
As I was taking these temps the love birds were packing up and leaving. As they were leaving a guy who lives in Apple Valley arrived. He went around and removed several pieces of trash. I had drank rum with him and his wife on previous adventures.
All together a very nice adventure and trip as it was a quiet and peaceable day to be at D.C.H.S
It took me 1 hour and 35 minuets to hike back to the trailhead from the springs on the new and improved trail..
Happy soaking !
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

9-23-09 trip report

jobe1499September 26, 2009 06:08AM

Re: 9-23-09 trip report

jobe1340September 26, 2009 06:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login