Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bikes on trails?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 22, 2009 06:17PM
I did have to wait last summer in the Bacon Flats area while a guy on a bike came around a divide. I quietly let hm know he was on the PCT and was in violation of the laws. He just said he didn't realize it and went on. He was trying to do the Arrowhead loop down to the Spillway and up 173 back to the start. Oh well, is what how he felt, but he had personally damaged some areas of the trail shoulders which have eroded this year in the rain. The PCT sent in a team to work on that part of the trail but it cost a few hundred dollars a day for a team and they can't get it all. It's the selfishness of the rider which bothers me. I hike the trail and I carry out the trash, but he really has more impact than the guy partying down at the spring that leaves some cans and trash. We all know that is bad, but this can actually cut the trail if a heavy downpour happens. The ruts will let the water change direction enough to make the difference. Wizard keeps us up on the macro issues of the environment. In some ways this is a micro problem which we can help change by letting the folks know what impact they are really having. Thanks, Rick.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bikes on trails?

Rick1415April 19, 2009 11:48AM

Paul P.723April 19, 2009 09:26PM

coyote806April 22, 2009 03:07PM

Rick727April 22, 2009 03:12PM

coyote791April 22, 2009 06:17PM

Rick1360April 25, 2009 04:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login