Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bikes on trails?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 22, 2009 03:07PM
As a member of the Pacific Trail Association, I am often in the back country of the San Bernardino Mountains. I think bikes have a great place in recreation, but they need to be limited to places which are not fragile. The PCT itself is often made up of a narrow 12 inch trail with a sandy shoulder. It washes out often and becomes difficult to navigate. Bikes are not allowed on the trail at this time, but I have met them and seen the ruts they cut into the shoulders and the ankle twisting grooves they make in the center. If a trail is designed to bear the weight, then I have no problem with them being there, but many miles the riders want to travel are not capable of sustaining their presence. You wouldn't think of riding in a wilderness meadow, but this is no different and it costs thousands of dollars to fix the damage each year on these trails. I totally agree we don't need the livestock in the canyon!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bikes on trails?

Rick1414April 19, 2009 11:48AM

Paul P.723April 19, 2009 09:26PM

coyote805April 22, 2009 03:07PM

Rick726April 22, 2009 03:12PM

coyote790April 22, 2009 06:17PM

Rick1360April 25, 2009 04:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login