Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

Advanced

Re: SC83

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 01, 2009 03:22PM
http://energybulletin.net/node/47596

Comments on $37 oil

The Dramatic Price Swings of Oil

Today oil is trading in the range of $37 per barrel, or about $110 less than its price back in July. That’s a dramatic, 75% change downwards. Back when oil was selling at $147, I said that the world does not run very well at such lofty energy prices. A lot of things just stop working at $147 for a barrel of oil, particularly things with a large energy component. The airlines come to mind. So something had to give. The world economy could crash (no jokes about airlines here…), or the price of oil could come down.

As it turned out, we had both events. The world economy hit the wall, and the price of oil came down in almost a straight line over five months. I believe that the high oil prices of late spring and early summer – with gasoline prices well over $4 per gallon (and over $5 in some parts of the country) – had a lot to do with triggering the financial crash that we saw in the fall.

For example, much of the extra money that people spent on pricey gasoline and heating oil was money that did not go to pay mortgages. A few months of missed mortgage payments in the spring led to foreclosures in the summer. The bad mortgages and foreclosures led to write-downs and “mark-to-market” readjustments. And the rest is recent history. Sure, nothing in this world is just as simple as A caused B, which led to C and then D. But if in 2006 and early 2007 oil had moved up to, say, $90 per barrel and then stayed there, would this be the same world? You probably see the point. Things might be a lot different.

The Sweet Life of Cheap Oil

Don’t get me wrong. It sure has been nice lately to pay just $1.65 per gallon of gasoline. The other day, for example, I filled the gas tank on my car. The pump shut off at $20 or so. My first thought was that there’s a problem. There’s no way I can fill my gas tank for under $20. In my mind, it still costs me $40 or $50 to fill ‘er up. But sure enough, the tank was full for a mere $20.

What about that “extra” $20 or $30 that I was ready to spend for gas? It now goes to savings, or the grocery store, or taking the kids to a movie, or whatever. Ah, the virtues of cheap gas. Sweet, right? Well, let’s enjoy it while it lasts. And it may last well into the winter.

Cheap Gas – Big Benefits

Let’s think through some of the macro-benefits of cheaper gasoline in the U.S. The U.S. Energy Department statistics state that the nation burns about 9.4 million barrels of gasoline per day. That’s about 395 million gallons (at 42 gallons in a barrel). Let’s say a gallon of gasoline is $2.75 cheaper than it was back in July, when I was paying $4.40 per gallon. Take 395 million gallons per day, times $2.75 savings per gallon. That’s almost $1.1 billion PER DAY that U.S. consumers are saving at the gasoline pumps. That’s over $32 billion per month of savings, or about $200 billion over six months..............

..............Expensive Oil is Bad – Cheap Oil is Not All Good

But no good deal is entirely a good deal. Just as the world does not work too well at $147 oil, the energy industry does not work well with oil at $37. If $147 oil was a problem, then $37 oil is actually NOT the solution. Cheap oil might even be worse for the world over the long term.

What do I mean? Well, at $37 per barrel of oil the incentive for energy efficiency and conservation is not high. Heck, people are back to buying SUVs, if they can get a car loan.

And low oil prices are a major stumbling block to building out the next generation of energy systems like advanced windmills, solar, geothermal, tidal power and advanced biofuels. Really, the world needs these items sooner or later. My view is to do it sooner and avoid the World War if we do it later.

Also, the traditional energy industries (the fossil fuel guys, not the environmental wacko, tree-hugging renewable-energy industries) need prices about $75 or so to keep up levels of investment in new projects that require several years to build out. That’s just to try and maintain current levels of fossil fuel output, which are declining in any event.

That is, world oil production has already peaked at about 86 million barrels per day. A growing volume of that is natural gas liquids (NGLs), which is strong evidence that we are blowing down a lot of gas caps. We were probably never going to change that overall fact of energy-life back with oil at $147. We sure aren’t going to change it now that oil is selling at $37. It’s the Peak Oil argument.

Depletion

Depletion, of course, is still with us all day and every day. Indeed, we could see swift declines in oil output from some major oil provinces of the world. Mexican oil output is already declining fast. Russia may shock us in 2009 with significant decreases from some older fields. Saudi Arabia is problematic, despite all the happy talk from Riyadh. The problem is that most of the world’s oil comes from giant fields that were discovered more than 25 years ago.

“Lots of Oil?”

When people say things like “There’s still a lot of oil out there,” they are not necessarily wrong. But they mean that there is a lot of oil out there that is NOT in giant oil fields. (Or if they’re so smart, how come they haven’t found any giant oil fields lately.) It’s oil that you will not drill up with just a relatively small number of high-output wells, like in the big oil fields of Saudi or Russia.

The “lots-of-oil” crowd is talking about hydrocarbon molecules (not necessarily light, sweet crude either) in deposits that are more dispersed, further out, in deep water, under more rock or salt layers, with higher temperatures and pressures. Or they are talking about heavy oil, or bitumen in tar sands, or kerogen in oil shales, or even some transformation of coal.

When people use the expression “lots of oil,” they mean the expensive stuff. It’s oil that requires many expensive wells or immense processing facilities, drilled or built with technology that we have just barely invented. And it’s the oil that you will never see if prices stay at $37 per barrel for long...........

High oil ( energy ) prices last summer in large part helped knock down the " house of cards " that the world economies were ( and still are ). Now with oil prices falling to very low prices ( in response to the massive worldwide economic downturn ) new energy development projects and other alternative energy projects are being halted because the money is not there to pursue them ( like is the fate of T. Boone Pickens wind energy scheme for example ). Modern economies will become increasingly squeezed between too high energy prices ( associated with the realities of Peak Oil ) which will threaten them with collapse, or too low prices which will also jeopardize their future viability in other dramatic ways. All signs in regards to these developments are pointing to dramatic declines in the quality of life for billions of people. James Howard Kunstler refers to this time we are entering as " The Long Emergency " and it is a fitting descriptive phrase for what we are now, and will be, experiencing.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

SC83

Wizard 1556December 22, 2008 10:28PM

Wizard 1292December 23, 2008 11:47PM

Wizard 824December 24, 2008 12:00AM

Wizard 734December 24, 2008 03:06PM

Wizard 644December 28, 2008 11:19PM

Wizard 690December 29, 2008 11:18PM

Wizard 718January 01, 2009 03:22PM

Wizard 757January 02, 2009 10:04PM

Wizard 821January 05, 2009 03:44PM

Wizard 678January 05, 2009 04:33PM

Wizard 789January 05, 2009 04:37PM

Wizard 766January 05, 2009 10:51PM

Wizard 600January 09, 2009 02:58PM

Wizard 1335January 10, 2009 10:08AM

Wizard 736January 10, 2009 11:31AM

Wizard 745January 10, 2009 12:02PM

Wizard 785January 10, 2009 02:18PM

Wizard 756January 10, 2009 09:55PM

Wizard 1237January 10, 2009 10:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login