All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 25, 2008 09:18PM
The weather channel reported today there being 1000 fires that have started from last weekend to today, most of them caused by the un-precedented lightning storm that went through Northern Cal last Friday. I got the word from my brother on Monday evening that a lightning caused fire had flared up in the area of our properties northeast of Redding Cal. I learned today that this fire had grown to 1200 acres as of Tuesday noon. The fire advanced on to part of our property but my brother with other neighbors stopped it along a dirt driveway that crossed its path. A guy I worked with for many years is just finishing up a new house in the same area and the fire has burnt all around his new home ( the home is ok ). Another longtime friend ( Dave ) who is starting a new home also had the fire burn all around his place. This longtime friend's brother called me this evening and said Dave had told him he thought the fire had burned more of our property today. Another lightning caused fire flared up today also just a couple of miles north of all of our properties and was heading up the from the down by the lake ( Pit River Arm of Lake Shasta ) towards ( southerly ) my brothers couple thousand acres on its northside. My brother has rented a D-6 and is presently working along with Fire fighting personel to build fire breaks to hopefully stop this new fires advance in the direction of our properties. I got the word that they were getting some air support today. Looking at the Weather Channel info this evening it looks like northwest winds will be picking up and Redding is shown as getting up to a predicted high of 101 tomorrow with hotter temps into the weekend. I'm heading up there to check things out in about a week. The Weather Channel today said that the un-precedented lightning storm of last weekend put down over 8000 lightning strikes. Fortunately the area around the house pad on our land is mostly Oaks and Pines with low vegetation like grass underneath it so hopefully if the fire did go through it left our trees intact. Many areas in that vicinity were completely overgrown from decades of conventional fire suppression policies. It was clear it was going to burn, later, or sooner in this case.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Watsonville Fire

Rick 1170June 25, 2008 12:39AM

Re: Watsonville Fire

Paul P. 710June 25, 2008 12:34PM

Rick 726June 25, 2008 02:01PM

Wizard 984June 25, 2008 09:18PM

Rick 763June 25, 2008 09:37PM

Wizard 759June 25, 2008 11:28PM

LaughingBear 1375June 27, 2008 09:24AM

Paul P. 1316June 27, 2008 11:31AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login