Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: SC71

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 12, 2008 11:19PM
http://carolynbaker.net/site/content/view/573/1/

I THINK I SAW TOM PAINE ON THE 4TH OF JULY, By Carolyn Baker

..............The European culture which decimated the New World on every level was founded on the principles of an unfinished Enlightenment that touted individual human rights but only for the privileged few. Estranged as it was from its ancient indigenous roots, it had no tribal template in which elders initiated the young and schooled them from birth to be part of, not inimical to, the earth community. While the Pilgrims lived harmoniously with Native Americans for a short while in Massachusetts, they soon began mimicking their Puritan brethren by rejecting Native values of sharing, cooperation, and the sacredness of the land on which they settled.

Thus, individuals like Paine, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, and Patrick Henry served as the only "elders" the colonists had. How different the history of United States may have been had these elders been initiated human beings with the capacity to open to, rather than resist, the wisdom of their indigenous neighbors. Franklin did spend time living with the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, one of the world's oldest democracies. However, despite his and his peer's admiration for the confederacy and their implementation of many of its political concepts in the Constitution, none were able to empathize with it on an emotional or spiritual level. Had they been able to do so, they may have intentionally incorporated indigenous values into American society which might have preserved the republic and circumvented empire, not to mention rabid consumerism, maniacal resource plunder, and the abject rape of the ecosystem.

Nevertheless, back here in the twenty-first century on July 4, 2008, the values of independence and cooperation that motivated for example, Samuel Adams and the Sons of Liberty and that permeate the writings of Thomas Paine, surged through my body while hearing fireworks rebound off New England mountains and while marching in a Vermont Independence Day parade. Incomplete as the Enlightenment was, it visited me in a brief but extraordinary epiphany this past week. Call me hopelessly romantic and idealistic, but the presence of Tom Paine and the patriots is palpable in Warren, Vermont's annual Independence Day festivities, and I feel fortunate to have experienced it.

And now call me pessimistic because even as I tasted the spirit of liberty on July 4, 2008, I could not help but ask myself what the people who sat in the meadow listening to the symphony while drinking their wine and eating their picnic snacks will be doing a year from now. How many will be able to drive to such an event or afford a ticket? Will the symphony itself be able to travel throughout the state presenting summer concerts? Likewise, how well attended will Independence Day parades be next year? Between now and then, might there be frantic attempts by the hungry, the homeless, the foreclosed, the bankrupt, the unemployed to craft a new American revolution? How much famine, starvation, violence, and chaos will this nation see in the next twelve months? How much backlash from empire will there be? FEMA camps in place by July 4, 2009? Will the U.S. government be involved in expanded oil wars in even more parts of the world? How many American institutions will have totally collapsed by then? How many airlines will be in business? How many people will be driving? How many trucks will be delivering food to grocery stores? If the State of Utah is now shifting to a four-day work week in order to save money and energy, what will education, healthcare, government, transportation, and other aspects of American society look like a year from now?

I'm not psychic, nor do I have a crystal ball, but everything I'm witnessing in current events tells me that on July 4, 2009, we may look back on July, 2008 as "the good ole days." I have to wonder how much "independence" we'll think we have at that point. Words like "martial law" and "Blackwater" continue to haunt my imagination.

Although I support the efforts of the Vermont Independence movement, I am well aware that dramatic earth changes and the collapse of a rotting U.S. infrastructure in a plethora of locations may well result in numerous, small, unintended, unimagined sovereignties throughout the North American continent. How will those communities live? How will they share, cooperate, function in harmony with each other and the earth community-or will they?

Thomas Paine's Common Sense was one of the most powerful instruments in forging the struggle for independence. The writings of one man, a "nobody" by today's standards and those of his day, transformed the thinking of the New World and motivated thousands to look deeply within themselves to assess what really mattered to them. Soul searching was Paine's forte, and his writings inspired the masses to do likewise and to weigh heavily the struggle they were contemplating. Doubtless, he's spinning in his grave as a result of the fascist empire that the republic has become, but I'm compelled to believe that his spirit lives on in the hearts and minds of individuals and communities who are preparing for the collapse of the empire he would give his life to defeat were he living today.

I see groups and individuals who are highly conscious of collapse and its ramifications-citizens like those struggling for Vermont Independence, countless communities across this nation who are strategizing to create food security, safeguard clean and accessible water supplies, power down their communities and implement renewable energy technologies, home school their children or create alternative schools, and implement affordable healthcare for everyone. Whether or not their efforts will prevail or be quashed by empire remains to be seen. Undoubtedly, some of those communities will survive collapse and live to tell their children about it. As a result, they will discover firsthand as Thomas Paine said, that "That which we obtain too easily, we esteem too lightly."..................
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

SC71

Wizard 1232June 19, 2008 10:34PM

Wizard 752June 22, 2008 11:12PM

Wizard 721June 22, 2008 11:24PM

Wizard 936June 22, 2008 11:48PM

Paul P. 689June 25, 2008 12:39PM

jobe 782June 28, 2008 08:18AM

Wizard 708June 25, 2008 08:54PM

Wizard 1242June 30, 2008 10:06PM

Wizard 743June 30, 2008 11:18PM

Wizard 626June 30, 2008 11:28PM

Wizard 720July 01, 2008 12:04AM

Wizard 663July 02, 2008 11:13AM

Wizard 758July 12, 2008 10:27PM

Wizard 674July 12, 2008 11:19PM

Wizard 663July 12, 2008 11:31PM

Wizard 1164July 13, 2008 12:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login