Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: SC62

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 01, 2008 11:27PM
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/12647

Are we there yet Pa? Nine Billion Little Feet on the Highway of the Damned

................................Hungry but still humpin’

Meanwhile, the truth stays buried in the crapola. According to the UN's newest report on the planetary condition, crop production has improved but has not kept up with population. World cereal production per person peaked in the 1980s, and has since been decreasing. We have over six billion people now -- there were far less than half that when I was born -- and there will be roughly nine billion people by 2050. But the UN, being a world organization that has to please a couple hundred governments, each beating its own national drum to its people, pretending there is a long term solution other that to eliminate two thirds of the world population within the above mentioned kids’ lifetimes. Thus, the UN issues “millennium development goals.” This neatly sidesteps the fact that if the present six billion mouths and assholes running the world’s resources through their gullets like **** through a goose is unsustainable, then nine billion of the same are waaaaaay beyond sustainable in any way worth calling human life.

For starters it would take a doubling of world food production to (A-) feed the current victims of hunger, and (B-) to feed the additional three billion. Theoretically, we’re going to cut back. We’ll feed the nine billion by some unarguably admirable means, like cutting waste, not overeating, biofuels, and ending meat consumption. Small problem here Jackson: We’re pretty much out of the phosphate fertilizer that is the foundation of world agriculture. The soil itself collapsing in terms of human nutrition, as we use up its finite reserves of vital elements – iodine, chromium salts and other complex materials our six billion collective bodies need to function. And farming has already sucked down the world’s water supply to the danger level. Yet somehow, we are going to come up with TWICE the water we now use by 2050, global warming and drying be damned. The whole time we are fixing global warming the population climbs.

Old Tom Malthus said something like this was gonna happen, although he got some of the details wrong, which a person just might conceivably do in predicting the fate of human civilization a couple hundred years in advance. Call me a softie here, but I tend to give the guy a break for getting it 90% right.

But then I’m no scientist. Supposedly sophisticated American scientists have been pissing on the grave of poor Tom at least since I was a kid in school. All my life American capitalist economists have proclaimed they’ve licked the population problem by using the world up faster. “A failed prophet of doom,” I believe my high school teacher called Malthus. Even commies kicked Tom’s dog around. Engles called him a barbarian. Marx couldn’t handle Tom’s action, either. Nor practically anyone else, from John Stuart Mill to Allen Greenspan. And we still get the stale argument that "This planet isn't crowded; it is just mismanaged.” Even the greens seem to believe that we can manage our way out of this fatal mess, if we just recycle, wear hemp and vote for the candidate on the bicycle with the Celtic tattoo. The alternative geeks swear nanotech is gonna pull us through. But last I heard pandemic viruses were still smarter than carbon nanotubes. Something about rapid adaptability. Those little fuckers seem to be fast on their feet, so in a title match between nano tech (or any tech for that matter) managed in the ring by nerds, and natural evolutionary biology -- which not only has mother nature holding the towels in its corner, but also calling the fight -- I’m damned sure betting on the biology.

At any rate, when it comes to the planet, now under the new global corporate management, it looks to be managed to death, dirt, people and all. The new management, kings and feudal lords of corporate finance to a man, peer down happily from the forty-fourth floor at six billion potential slave wage employees and wonder if you can feed’em on dirt and kudzoo.

Malthus must be thrashing inside his lead lined English coffin right now, cackling, “Do the math, you fuckers!” But they won’t. With the world’s elite's presently being loaded into their yachts bound for the Caymans, they don’t have to. Not just yet, anyway. As for they guy on the bike with the Celtic tattoo, if he peddles long enough he’s bound to run into some of those 49,671 human beings born while I was writing this......................

The rest of this long article is excellent.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

SC62

Wizard 1178February 21, 2008 08:35PM

Wizard 727February 21, 2008 09:38PM

Wizard 650February 24, 2008 04:34PM

Wizard 689February 24, 2008 09:58PM

Wizard 775February 24, 2008 10:51PM

Wizard 773February 25, 2008 10:17PM

Wizard 773February 26, 2008 07:49PM

coyote 1367March 26, 2008 05:43PM

Wizard 810February 26, 2008 07:59PM

Wizard 800March 01, 2008 11:27PM

Wizard 816March 01, 2008 11:38PM

Wizard 808March 02, 2008 03:24PM

Wizard 723March 04, 2008 11:07AM

Wizard 676March 05, 2008 10:03PM

Wizard 744March 07, 2008 10:15PM

Wizard 901March 07, 2008 10:50PM

Link to McCain's Op-Ed "War is Hell. Now Let's Get On With It"

Anonymous User784March 12, 2008 04:49PM

Wizard 760March 10, 2008 09:47PM

Wizard 786March 12, 2008 06:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login