Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Trip report 5/21

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 28, 2018 11:32PM
On Monday I arrived at the Freedom trail at 10:30 am. I've only visited via Bowen Ranch in the past but this time I had
an AWD Toy Highlander with great off road tires (BFG K02) so I decided to see what Freedom was all about. It's an incredibly
bad road with washouts - not worth it folks. The extra 20-30 min plus gas is a no win- I'll just pay the $5 at the ranch in the future.

At upper Freedom the road has an extremely steep pitch to get lower which i tested by walking several times. Decided not to chance it.
The road fork to the right to lower parking which I think is called Hunters Camp was closed by FS 3 weeks ago -probably permanently
due to abuse by ATV's and motorcycles.. Talked to a SB Co Sheriff & 2 deputies that went down the steep drop in a SUV with
worse tires than mine. They were looking for a lost hiker which they described.

Did a clothes free hike down in 70's degree weather without meeting anyone ( except 3 officers mentioned as I threw shorts on)
The lost hiker was found happily soaking at the springs. At the springs there were like 30 mostly young PCT
hikers resting until mid afternoon. All but one stayed clothed. Only 10 others in area (90% clothed.) Later around 4pm the hikers
left and the vibe changed and about 25 non hikers were present (60% clothed.) Some pleasant conversations with people who
had been all over the world. Arizona pool is about 107F and consensus is Anniversary Pool is one degree hotter. Others are cooler
for upcoming hot weather. High was about 80F Saw near zero trash though heard there may have been a cleanup over the weekend.
Womb is slippery and needs cleaning. Got a strange leg cramp just before leaving. Was very worried on the hike out but made it fine.

Only 4th visit ! 1st was 40 years ago then other 2 days were last spring. Maybe more in future since I've moved to near Tahoe.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip report 5/21

mdskibum1538May 28, 2018 11:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login