Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report Monday 6/16/14

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 17, 2014 09:17AM
Freehiked in the Bradford trail on this quickly arranged day-off hike.

Last time I came in on the Bradford side there were no cars parked there when I set out and when I returned, also saw no cars while I drove in or out or while I prepared. This time there was a car already parked there, one drove by just to look at the end of the road sign and there were three cars there when I drove away. Last time I saw no one on the Bradford trail at all either way. This time though the trip down I was alone, I had a couple pass me on the way up and three couples pass me on their way down to the springs. Interesting for a Monday I thought.

I am pretty comfortable freehiking this side now. This time I was free from the moment I left the truck until I returned to it. Nice day.

It was pretty darn windy. Even though it is warm to hot in the sun the wind definitely takes its toll on the open skin. Cools you way down. The hike was nice and just as much work as I remembered. I made the correct turn and headed left at the fence line and actually hiked the ridges instead of the steep canyon. It was still steep but a bit easier. The one section where you cross the hillside on the rocky part is a bit of work.

The springs were not very crowded. I would guess no more than 30 people. When I arrived there was only one other nude guy there. It was a textile day that was for sure. I got the nice shady spot where there is usually a guy camping and hit the spring to soothe my legs. After sitting out for a while a pair of clothing free guys asked to join me in the shade. We chatted some and I hit the water again. I was finally joined by a nice nude couple in the water and we chatted a bit. They also joined us in the shade. You would think that 6 out of 30 was a normal textile ratio but it seemed a very covered up crowd.

The wind cooled you off very fast once out of the water but shade was still the way to go as it was still very warm.

After a nice lunch and some relaxing I headed out around 2. The walk up the PCT was nice to get started and then the pain sets in. The Bradford side is steeper than the Bowen side and seems to last longer getting up to elevation. Just a lot of stops before you get to the regular hiking. I do like that there is more shade on this side. Many places to rest under the shade of a tree or bush. I was surprised how quick I got to a spot that my phone started getting messages. I'll have to keep that in mind if I need to reach civilization. Pretty steep trek to get to a cell connection if it is only to get my e-mail and go back to the springs.

Took about 2 hours for the trip out but I did stop a lot and took one long rest at the top of the ridge, it is a great view.

I am paying for it today, sore all over and one big blister earned on the downhill portion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 09:18AM by nekkid1964.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report Monday 6/16/14

nekkid19642234June 17, 2014 09:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login