Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

Advanced

DCHS, recent earthquake, pool damage?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 08, 2014 11:36PM
I was at DCHS on Sunday, such a beautiful day : ) When I arrived I noticed that the Aniversary Pool was about a foot down from full. I asked the people soaking in it if someone had been using the shower and they said no, and the shower pipe was blocked with the bottle plug. I wondered why it was low, but then found out soon enough the reason when I went around to the wall side of the pool and saw a really big gushing flow of water coming out at the bottom of the highest part of the wall. I figured somehow it was leaking throught the built up wall of the pool, even though this leak was really low down, looking like it was coming out of the granite below the wall. I got in the pool and felt all along the bottom of the wall for where it might be leaking but could not find anything which was perplexing. I used an abandoned towel and did my best to stuff it in the leaking crack on the outside of the pool, but then water started gushing out another nearby crack, and when I blocked that, water gushed out in still another spot. It was like playing a game of whack-a-mole : )

I did get all those leaks sealed up pretty good, and about a half hour later the Aniversary Pool was full again so the leak was obviously somewhere in the pool. I went and had my lunch on the sand above the Arizona Pool. Afterwards I went back over to the Aniversary pool with Jobe and we were just standing there talking when I noticed in the middle of the pool on its bottom, more towards the Womb side, there was an area in the granite where clearly fresh rock was exposed. It was easy to see since the broken area had no algae on it like all of the rest of the bottom of the pool, as usual. At first I was thinking someone had chipped away the granite there for some reason, but I thought, why would they do that, it didn't make sense. Then Jobe was talking about last weeks earthquake and in looking closer at the area of freshly broken granite, I think its likely that the earthquake is what caused this. Jobe was at a freinds house in the village near the Bowen Ranch Rd and told me how part of the building he was looking at, a supporting post moved alot during the quake, and that it was a really strong jolt and shaking.

After realizing the quake probably did this I got in the pool and felt down in the crevice of broken granite and I could feel water rushing by my fingers, and that explained where the leak in the pool was coming from. The quake opened a crack there allowing the pool water to flow into other cracks below the pool, and then it flowed out through those channels to the edge of the pool below the wall. I did find another abandoned towel and folded it up, placing it over the crack and I put a big rock on top of it to hopefully help slow down the leak. Jobe said he was going to bring some Portland Cement down and drain the pool so he could seal up that cracked area doing the leaking. I was really supprised that the quake last week could have cause something like that. We did feel that quake pretty good at our home too in Apple Valley : )
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DCHS, recent earthquake, pool damage?

Wizard1713April 08, 2014 11:36PM

Re: DCHS, recent earthquake, pool damage?

Paul P.802April 09, 2014 08:12AM

Wizard829April 09, 2014 06:53PM

Paul P.759April 10, 2014 08:48AM

Wizard1270April 12, 2014 12:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login