Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report 10-1-13

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 01, 2013 08:44AM
I went on my first free hike to DCHS yesterday through Bradford Ridge Trail. I went on the right path after the fence to descent to Pacific Crest Trail which was fairly steep. At bottom of the trail, I wasn't sure if I was still on a trail (watch for stacked rocks), but once you go through the narrow creek, the trail connects to PCT. Next time I will trying descent through the left path instead. I've read it's a little easier descent and longer, but more scenic. Coming back up was more difficult and I must have taken 4, 5 breaks. I hiked there at 11am and came back at 2pm which wasn't exactly the ideal time to hike, but other than the steep hill, the other parts of the trail was fairly easy. Getting there took me about 1 hour and 20 minutes and coming back 20 minutes longer. Most other hikers came from Bowen Ranch, and their hike was only about 40 minutes. Perhaps that's why most people pay for parking took that route.

There were only 2 people at the creek when I arrived around noon. And a couple of others showed up later. The water was clear. And I can see fish swimming around me. Some of the hot pool smelled a little funky though. I only sat in them for a little bit and swam mostly in the river. It was interesting been nude climbing around the rocks, swimming, and hiking. While others were mostly just topless, I felt fine.

Coming back was a little windy which provided some cooling under the sun. Next time, I will keep my towel, extra food, and extra bottle of water in the car. I only needed about 2 - 2.5 liters of water for a 2 hour stay and I had 3 liters (might need more if you stay the whole day, I read 3 to 3.5 liters are recommended). Anything extra just make the uphill climb extra hard. I also wore my backpack on my chest when going up which helps with balance and stand up straight. There wasn't anyone on 173, so I free hiked all the way to my car with my shorts tied to the waist band of my backpack just in case someone pops up. I think that's a good way to quickly cover your private part when needed. I did not meet a single person during the hike to and back probably because it was a weekday and only 2 other cars were parked near the trail head when I left. I am looking forward to go back soon, and perhaps during another season and see different landscape.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 11:58AM by oddie225.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report 10-1-13

oddie2252025October 01, 2013 08:44AM

Photos

oddie2251270October 02, 2013 11:13AM

Re: Photos

oddie225800October 04, 2013 04:20PM

Re: Trip Report 10-1-13

jobe750October 02, 2013 03:20PM

Rick854October 06, 2013 07:29AM

jobe954October 07, 2013 08:30AM

Rick1278October 07, 2013 02:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login