Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

Deep Creek trip - 7-6

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 07, 2012 01:27PM
I went on a hike to Deep Creek yesterday and the weather was great and not too hot thankfully :-) The mid day air temp was around 90 and the creek temp was 84 degrees which is about perfect by my reckoning! I saw another Golden Eagle up by my parking, which has been pretty much par for the course on most trips up there I go on. Their is a pair of them living in that area. Just as I got down to the creek I spooked a big Owl out of its roost in a cliff. I got a little further up the creek and once again spooked the same Owl out of the shade of a big Oak tree. Further up the stream I came across two Grey Heron's who took flight once I got closer. Here is a website about them, showing what they look like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Heron

Had my lunch in a shady spot along the stream, then explored around the rest of the day. I came across a differant looking stream plant, one that I don't ever recall seeing at Deep Creek before. There were three of the plants growing by a small pool. I took a picture of it and will put it up at Wizard's pictures later when I get the chance. I'll post to this thread when I get it up and maybe someone will be able to identify the plant. It looks like something you would see in a tropical forest, a more lush environment. Also in that same area I noticed a dark looking trout with white marks on it swimming around, one that clearly was not doing well. When the creek gets that warm the trout begin to die. I saw some more down deep that looked ok but a bit later I found one dead in the water by shore, it had just died. One year there were lots of them in the bigger pools and I would check them out with my dive mask. But then there was a very prolonged hot spell and it killed pretty much all the trout within a couple of weeks. The trout further up the creek in the higher elevations still survive because of the cooler water there.

On the hike back down the creek I saw another Grey Heron fishing from a rock. Then I suddenly noticed there was a Beaver swimming across the pool right in front of the Heron. The Beaver had some sort of reed in its mouth and may have been dam building or eating. I got a good look at it with my binoculars as it was parusing around the long pool in the creek it was in.

Another great day spent at Deep Creek :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 01:56PM by Wizard.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deep Creek trip - 7-6

Wizard1728July 07, 2012 01:27PM

Re: Deep Creek trip - 7-6

Wizard800July 07, 2012 01:48PM

Wizard879July 07, 2012 01:53PM

Wizard1062July 08, 2012 12:58AM

Rick1407July 08, 2012 10:51AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login