Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Deep Creek saved my life

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 11, 2012 10:57PM
Deep Creek saved my life last week. I've struggled for a long time with bipolar disorder, and life has been terribly hard for me recently. Last Thursday evening I hiked down from Bowen Ranch with minimal supplies, in the hope of finding some sliver of peace. I was not alone Thursday night but I kept to myself in the Anniversary Pool, smoking a lot of medicine and lost in my thoughts. I was driven to write poetry for the first time in several years. I forced myself to get into my sleeping bag around 2 AM and spent a long, very cold, very lonely night on the beach under the stars. The next morning I waited for the sun to appear over the top of the ridge, but when it warmed up I went over to the Womb. I've never been naked in public before, and it was hard for me to decide to strip down. But I was not alone and once I got into the water, it just seemed natural, even preferable to wearing shorts. I met a lot of different people, all with their own stories, and I enjoyed talking to everyone. Usually I'm very shy, but there I was, naked as the day I was born, hanging out in the hot pools with my new friends, and it was amazing. I met a lot of long-time DCHS veterans (some 30+ years!) and some others who were visiting for the first time. Everyone I met was warm and kind, and most of them seemed to have a more heightened level of awareness than the average American citizen. About 5 PM I started the hike back up with 3 others. I am in bad shape and have been smoking a lot of medicine over the last several months. Add to that almost no food during my visit, and not nearly enough water, and it was a perfect recipe for disaster. I could walk at most 20 feet at a time before I would have to stop for rest. I threw up twice during the hike, and at one point I was incredibly discouraged and almost ready to drop my pack and lie down on the trail, and wait for help. But somehow I kept walking, 10 or 20 feet at a time, until I started to see the trail markers, and I felt hope enough to push myself up the hill. When I did make it finally to my car, it took over an hour before I was able to drive out and back towards civilization. I wasn't cured of my mental illness, and I still have a tremendous mess of a life to try to piece back together. But my trip to Deep Creek gave me the chance to escape my problems for a day or so, meet lots of amazing, inspiring people, and restore enough hope in me to make it back home and keep trying. I have a goal now of visiting DCHS as much as possible, and that gives me another good reason to keep trying to get better, every day. I don't remember anyone's name from my time there last week, but to every one of you who I met, you helped restore my belief in the kindness of others, and you helped me find a way back from the edge of the abyss, neither of which I could have done anywhere else in this world. Deep Creek saved my life last week, and the thought of coming back is helping me find a way to keep getting better.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deep Creek saved my life

Tom Foolery2078January 11, 2012 10:57PM

Re: Deep Creek saved my life

katrina island1063January 11, 2012 11:33PM

Paul P.990January 12, 2012 09:43AM

Wizard995January 12, 2012 10:16PM

knucklehead939January 13, 2012 08:33AM

Gary1524January 16, 2012 03:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login