Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (91% of Full)

Advanced

April 8 Report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 09, 2010 11:20PM
Arrived the evening of April 7. Bowan Ranch Road has been graded and even chained so it is in excellent condition. Most of the major bumps are smoothed. Be aware of the ditch on the last part of the road as you get close to Bowen Ranch. I hiked in about 6:30 pm to visit the area and hike out. At dark about 8 couples were in the Womb and appeared to be staying over. I camped at Bowen and observed 2 small groups who came out on the Goat Trail about 1000 pm. They left the campground and went home. I hiked in at dawn and found a couple of tents and no one in the pools as is common that early. If you want solitude you can almost always find it if you go early. If you want to experience the community just wait and folks will arrive. About an hour after I arrived a couple came up who only come every few years. They were from New Jersey. There are regulars at Gunnison Beach, NJ and were here to see how things were on this coast. Very good morning in the Womb talking with them and no one else came in. Two of the people who stayed over from the previous evening woke up around 0930 and were locals. They are also medicinal users who went to the Serenity Pool. Both are very artistically tatooed and pierced. By the way, the Serenity Pool has a sandy bottom and is only about 18 inches deep at this time. It appears to be very warm since the Crab Cooker is supplying it with some of its water and the creek is about a foot below the pool. I'm not sure this isn't more comfortable than the steep sides it has normally. A few observations. As I was departing I met a couple of bicycles coming down. They are legal but it can be rather surprising to those hiking out not expecting a sudden appearance. I expect other hikers but don't expect to have to move toward the cliff side rather quickly. There were several nude hikers. This also is legal but during this late Easter Vacation time I found many children on the trail and suspect this could become an issue. Wizard has addressed this over the years. Just look ahead to see who is hiking so you understand your risk. Most adults will not have an issue with this even if they do not practice it themselves. They may, however, be concerned about their children who they have taken on this trail. Wizard has addressed the multiple jurisdictions which can have legal authority over the trail so just use desecration. I have discussed the issue of nudity with the rangers and they have affirmed that the entire San Bernardino Forest is Clothing Optional as long as you are not close to an inhabited area. The T6 crossing ( which is near Cedar Glen) is stated as having no nudity within 1/4 mile. I would suggest this is the standard which is applied to inhabited areas as well. Any comments Wizard?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

April 8 Report

coyote1962April 09, 2010 11:20PM

Re: April 8 Report

coyote956April 09, 2010 11:59PM

Rick1025April 10, 2010 12:33AM

Paul P.1103April 10, 2010 08:37AM

Wizard1011April 11, 2010 12:34AM

nekkid1964933April 14, 2010 02:43PM

Madrox1535April 14, 2010 04:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login