All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 11, 2006 02:56PM
What steps should hikers take to protest themselves when exploring our area mountains? Comment

May 11, 2006 11:59 a.m.
The below listed items are known to most backpackers as The 10-Plus Essentials. It can be found in most backpacking books and websites in one form or another. You may never need most of these items on a day trip, but if something unexpected occurs, you don't want to be caught without themthey could save your life. All of these items fit in my daypack, which I carry anytime I go into the wilderness. Also, if you find yourself lost, try to retrace your route. If nothing looks familiar, STAY WHERE YOU ARE. Your chances of being found by other hikers or rescue greatly improves if you dont go wandering around.
The 10-Plus Essentials
1. Map (in a watertight case)
2. Compass (plus an optional GPS receiver)
3. Extra clothing (men's, women's, kids')
4. Extra food and water
5. First-aid kit
6. Headlamp or flashlight (with extra batteries)
7. Matches (storm proof, or in a watertight container)
8. Fire starter
9. Knife (or multi-use camp tool)
10. Sunglasses
11. Sunscreen
12. Water filter (or other method of water treatment)
13. Whistle
14. Cell Phone

May 11, 2006 10:47 a.m.
Carry a cell phone and gps with extra batteries for both.

May 11, 2006 10:38 a.m.
Most important: pay attention to where you are going and review in your mind how you get back to where you want to be! People get lost because they don't do this

May 11, 2006 08:52 a.m.
Don't go if you are not schooled in the practice of hiking or survival.

May 11, 2006 06:48 a.m.
BE PREPARED!!!
NO MATTER IF YOU JUST GO ON A SHORT HIKE -- TAKE PRECAUTIONS...YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHAT MAY HAPPEN.
I LEARNED THAT A LONG TIME AGO WHILE IN COLLEGE HIKING WITH THE HIKING CLUB ON CAMPUS. IT HAS ALWAYS STUCK WITH ME AND THAT WAS THIRTY YEARS AGO. BY PRECAUTIONS: WATER, SNACKS, AN EXTRA SHIRT, PANTS, SHORTS, SOCKS, A SMALL FIRST AID KIT, ETC...A BACKPACK (ALTHOUGH YOU MAY FEEL IT NOT NECESSARY -- OR TOO BULKY, IT WILL BE WORTH IT) CAN ULTIMATELY SAVE YOUR LIFE...AS WE HAVE SEEN HERE IN THIS STORY. MOST IMPORTANTLY...NEVER STRAY AWAY FROM THOSE YOU'RE WITH!!! AND BE SURE SOMEONE KNOWS YOUR PLANS FOR YOUR HIKE.

May 11, 2006 00:34 a.m.
Bring emergency items such a warm clothes, water, food , a map, compass, cell phone, and first aid materials.
Tell someone where you are going.
If you get lost, stay put! If you must go somewhere, retrace your steps. Don't wander.
Stay on trails.

May 11, 2006 00:17 a.m.
Most people who get in trouble on day hikes make simple mistakes, then find themselves unable to evac the area in time to avoid an emergency situation due to exposure. So...
1. Check the weather. Anticipate our local mountain weather to change. And it does - rapidly!
2. Bring multiple layers of clothing with an outer water-repellent shell. Don't forget a crushable, wide-brim hat.
3. Bring more water than you think you'll need.
4. Purchase a topo map of the area and a simple compass.
5. A small, well-thought out first aid kit targeted toward sprains, cuts, insect bites/stings, and foot blisters is a must. With aspirin.
6. Butane lighter.
7. Whistle.
8. Small, sharp camp knife.
All this can be carried in a small $10 backpack.
And don't forget: Tell someone where you will be, your expected route, and when you expect to be back. Register at a local ranger station (sometimes you can do this online).
AND CHECK IN WHEN YOU GET BACK TO LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE HOME SAFE!!!

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Hiking survival tips

katrina island 1055May 11, 2006 02:56PM

Re: Hiking survival tips

Paul P. 706May 11, 2006 11:19PM

Re: Hiking survival tips

Rick 1143May 12, 2006 01:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login