Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Cattle in the Deep Creek Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 12, 2009 01:09PM
I did a hike to Deep Creek last Wednsday and found lots more cattle tracks and cow pies from old route 3N59A all the way down to the creekbed. The cattle tracks were all along the route of an old road that used ( closed after the Willow Fire ) to go down to the creek ending at the Indian Camp just about a half mile or so upstream from DCHS. Clearly the cattle are in the USFS lands and accessing Deep Creek in places. I called the USFS and their person ( Melody Lardner ) who deals with USFS grazing allotments said that all grazing was stopped in the San Bernardino Forest after the 1999 Willow Fire. There is a grazing allotment in BLM lands around the Round Mountain area and its pretty clear this is where these cows are coming from. That allotment area had been closed for years after the Willow Fire for land restoration puposes, but it has been recently re-opened about a few months ago.
Any reports of seeing cattle or knowledge of them in anywhere in the Deep Creek canyon and in any USFS lands should be referred to Melody Lardner who deals with grazing issues for the USFS. Her direct number is 909-382-2725. Also, since the grazing allotment area from where the cattle are apparently coming from is in BLM lands, the same reports should also be referred to Anthony Chavez who deals with the grazing permits issues for the BLM. His direct number is 760-252-6036.
Melody told me that cattle intrusions like this onto the USFS lands is a big deal to the USFS and that they definitely want to hear reports of this occuring so they can follow up with the BLM about getting the cattle back where they are supposed to be. The crazy thing is that the allotment area is not completely surrounded by fences/cattle gaurds. I know this to be the state of affairs, and when I asked Melody about this she said that she was aware of this, and that the rancher is not nescesarily required to have the allotment area completely surrounded by fencing, but that they are responsible for making sure the cattle stay in the allotment area. With this being the case regarding the fencing, clearly the cows will wander out of the general area of the allotment, sooner or later. Especially when its hotter and the cattle are seeking cooler conditions and water down in the canyon at Deep Creek. Once the cows figure out how to get to the creek, they will be even more inclined to head that way. It just doesn't make any sense to not have the grazing allotment area contained by fences and cattle gaurds.
All we can do alert the agencies and send photos for evidence when possible. Those big cows really tear up the trails in the area when they get on them not to mention damaging the land in general in their wanderings. The ground this time of year is much softer because of the moisture in the ground from rain and snow, and the cows hooves leave deep imprints on the trails. Melody also said they don't want them at Deep Creek or on their lands because of sensitive species that are present. If the ranchers don't surround the cattle with intact fencing, this will be an ongoing problem.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cattle in the Deep Creek Canyon

Wizard 1259January 12, 2009 01:09PM

Re: Cattle in the Deep Creek Canyon

Rick 696January 12, 2009 04:22PM

Re: Cattle in the Deep Creek Canyon

Wizard 1369January 12, 2009 11:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login