Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Trip report : Bradford ridge trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2006 05:19PM
Due to resent concern about this trail and my own curiosity. I hiked the Bradford ridge trail Monday.
First of all the signs saying 173 is closed is only partially true. As I went up this sometimes narrow dirt road, I counted 7 small cars comeing down hill. All were small foriegn cars with children in them. This was Monday @ noon.
I went to the Kinley creek bridge parked and took some good pictures of the area. Yes you can still get there from the 15 freeway - 138 - 173 highways. After I left the springs I went to where the road is blocked off on that side. It was 3.2 miles from the Kinley creek bridge. When I turned around a sign said the pavement ended in 1 mile, another lie. As the road was paved all the way to just past the Kinley creek. It was 2 miles to the rife shooting range from the Kinley creek bridge and another one mile to the fence in the road. The intersection here is Grass Valley road. it curves around a lot but it seemed to be @ 3 miles till it ends at Peninsula street. I turned left and went less than 1 mile to North bay road to the town of Blue Jay. At 189 if you turn left you go to the big shopping center on Lake Arrowhead. If you turn right you go to the main road that comes up the mountain from the big cities. It is easy to find downtown Blue Jay a Mcdonalds is on one side of the road and the cinema is on the other side.
As I hiked down to the springs I noticed the trail had not been used as much now as it was in 1990 when I lived in Lake Arrowhead. Probably because of the road closed signs. The trail was still in good enough condition but not good enough for a mountian bike to ride on as I did back then. It took me 45 minuets to do the hike from the bridge to the springs. But I spent @ 15 minets takeing pictures and watching the bees and frogs at the Bradford spring. Which is about 1/2 way down the trail. The spring there is running pretty good and the flowers are delightful.
When I got to the springs @ 30 peole were there. About 1/3 were nude. I got into a nice conversation with some French people who were living in Topanga canyon. The big entertainment was a bunch of twenty somethings guys who were jumping from the upper rocks into the water. This was accompanied by most of the women being the cheerleaders. They were glad when I was able to do a standing full flip off the rock in front of the big pool. This is difficult when you have not tried it for - 10 years. On my 3rd attempt I finally did it then 4 more times all good and to a lot of cheers. Today I am paying for it with compressed water in my sinuses. My coach used to say "if you play you pay." What a smart man.
In my previous post I mentioned some campers who were drinking beer and smokeing some kind of herbs at 8 am. Well, where they were camping I picked up 2 - 30 gallon trash bags of beer cans and trash. I carried one bag and the French took out the other. Thanks guys.
I try not to notice but a lot of trash is still there.
Please take more trash out than you bring in ... PLEASE !!!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip report : Bradford ridge trail

jobe 1171July 25, 2006 05:19PM

Re: Trip report : Bradford ridge trail

Paul P. 680July 25, 2006 10:55PM

jobe 697July 26, 2006 09:57AM

Paul P. 658July 26, 2006 01:33PM

jobe 701July 27, 2006 02:10AM

Rick 729July 27, 2006 07:41AM

jobe 674July 27, 2006 11:15AM

celtfire 708July 27, 2006 04:29PM

jobe 667July 27, 2006 09:23PM

Paul P. 662July 28, 2006 12:44PM

jobe 653July 28, 2006 02:59PM

jobe 1220July 28, 2006 03:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login