Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (100% of Full)

Advanced

Danger of Open Mines

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 26, 2006 11:45AM
Open threats
Deserted mines pose grave danger to desert explorers
Megan Blaney, Staff Writer
San Bernardino County Sun
CALICO - On the day 6-year-old River Lasley saw his father fall 60 feet to his death in an abandoned mine shaft, he expressed one prayer:

Please don't let it happen to anyone else.

But it did. Just one week later, another man plummeted down the same shaft. Trevor Montgomery survived but suffered critical injuries and is paralyzed.

In a tearful phone call, River's mother, 37-year-old Kris Lasley of Vista, recounted the boy's ordeal at the mine.

"Why weren't there any signs?" the child asked would-be rescuers. And are you "going to close it up so nobody else will fall?"

The incidents illuminated a major problem throughout the state that has no easy solution 12,000 abandoned mines pepper San Bernardino County alone with no feasible way to close them all.

Attempts by state and federal agencies to close the more dangerous mines are ongoing, but only a fraction of a percent is closed each year. Mines exist on both private and public property, and vandalism makes boundaries vague.

Officials say the onus is on people who visit the desert. Avoid them entirely. Families vacationing nearby must balance a natural curiosity to explore the historical sites with a healthy dose of common sense and caution.

"Just don't go near them," said Sgt. Doug Hubbard, of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. "Every mine is dangerous. Every single one."...........

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_3747900

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Danger of Open Mines

katrina island 1848April 26, 2006 11:45AM

Re: Danger of Open Mines

LaughingBear 687April 26, 2006 03:30PM

Rudedog 937April 29, 2006 07:09PM

Rick 666April 29, 2006 08:33PM

Paul P. 1329April 30, 2006 09:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login