Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

DCHS/day after Memorial Day report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 01, 2005 05:07PM
I was unable to get to the springs over the holiday weekend but I was able to come up on Tuesday. I arrived at Bowen Ranch around 7:30am. There were maybe 3 or 4 other cars already there but no one was camping up at the parking lot area. It was already getting very warm so I got undressed and put on some sun screen and my back pack and headed off to the springs. I was suprised that there was no trash along the trail on the hike down and more suprised when I found the springs basically litter free. Many thanks to the folks that visited the springs over the holiday weekend and packed out all their trash plus the trash of others. It was so nice to arrive to a clean DCHS after a busy weekend.

When I arrived at the springs there were 2 couples and 2 or 3 gentlemen already there. It was so warm that not very many were in the hot pools, the best spot for the day was the cooler waters in the creek. Thanks to Wizard and everyone else that fixed the shower, it works great, you all did an excellent job. Unfortunately I have to work on Saturdays so I am unable to come up to the monthly DCHS volunteer meetings. If there is anything you would like me to do other than trash clean up please let me know, I try to get to the springs at least twice a month. Maybe you can post a list of few things to do on this bulletin board so other people that can't get out to the volunteer meetings at the end of the month can help with some of the work.

Back to my trip report, I stayed at the springs from 8:15am till about 1:30pm. Only one more couple and maybe one more gentlemen came down to the springs before I left. There was only one or two people that were textile, the rest of us were taking full advantage of the warm sun and the cool waters. I hiked around for a little while, exploring the creek upstream from the hot springs. I ran into two girls that were sleeping under some overhaning bushes. They were textile and I think I kind of suprised them a little. I bid them a good morning and pushed on farther up stream. I found some good pools to swim in then I floated back downstream for a little ways. I rested and sunbathed for a little while then I tried the hot pools but they were just too warm. I swam in the creek and then had to pack up and head back home. I put on some more sun screen and headed back up to the trail to Bowen ranch. One couple had already left and another couple was preparing to leave the same time I did. I eventually caught up with the first couple and passed them on the way up. It was a very hot hike back out. About halfway back we passed one other gentleman on his way down to springs, he was hiking au natural like me. I am suprised that more people don't choose to hike this way, especially when the temperatures are getting as high as they are. I know I don't sweat anywhere near as much as when I have a shirt and shorts on. Once you have tried it I guarantee you won't want to go back to hiking clothed, just remember your sun screen ;-).

Looking forward to my next trip to the springs, unfortunately I won't make it back until the last week of June.

Happy soaking!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DCHS/day after Memorial Day report

lbcalrr 1141June 01, 2005 05:07PM

Re: DCHS/day after Memorial Day report

Wizard 655June 02, 2005 08:27PM

Rick 755June 02, 2005 08:48PM

Wizard 696June 02, 2005 08:56PM

Rick 722June 02, 2005 08:57PM

Wizard 1228June 03, 2005 10:24PM

Wizard 762June 02, 2005 08:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login