Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hwy. 173 from Arrowhead

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 26, 2005 08:54PM
I hiked to DCHS via the Bradford Ridge trail on 4/3/2005, and can verify that the pavement ends just north of Kinley Creek. I drove in from the north (I-15 to 138 to 173), so I can't verify how long it would take to get there from Lake Arrowhead.

Coming from the north, I drove via the ~5 miles of dirt road that starts just west of Arrowhead Lake Road near the Mojave Forks Dam. Before this winter's rains, the road was passable by a normal passenger car; unless the road's been graded this month, I'd recommend a high ground clearance vehicle. I had no problems in my stock 4Runner, and although I used the 4wd, it wasn't necessary. The dirt section took about a half hour. Plan on straddling many of the gullies, as there isn't quite enough room to go on the outside.

The trail is in pretty good shape. Some damage from the rains, but mostly minor. There's two sections of poison oak to watch out for near the top, which were just leafing out when I hiked in. I'm planning on clipping them back (very carefully, and with proper protection) when I hike it again next month.

I don't know about the clothing optional status of that trail, but I was there on a sunday and saw only two other people on the trail; they were heading in as we were heading out. Last year when I hiked midweek I didn't see anyone else at all on that trail. If nobody else is parked at Kinley Creek, you can probably ditch the shorts entirely. Enjoy!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Hwy. 173 from Arrowhead

lbcalrr 1521April 26, 2005 05:14PM

Wizard 2480April 26, 2005 08:53PM

summernudist 1441April 26, 2005 08:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login