Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Abandoned desert mines dangerous

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 07, 2005 03:30PM
Abandoned desert mines pose danger to drivers

By Charles F. Bostwick, Staff Writer

Rocketdyne retiree Paul Etner was driving his wife and daughter up a dirt road off the Antelope Valley Freeway when they almost drove into tragedy.

Trying to turn around on a brush-covered hill, he backed into a 12-foot-wide, 53-foot-deep abandoned mine shaft, coming to a stop with his station wagon's left rear tire hanging over the hole.

"If I'd been over a few feet more ... we'd have gone in," Etner said. "We were just astounded. We had no idea it was there. When I looked in the rearview mirror to back up it just looked like an open gentle slope.

"I've been in the desert a lot but I've never seen anything like this. It was scary."

State Office of Mine Reclamation officials came out Tuesday to use a backhoe to fill in the hole -- one of more than 47,000 abandoned California mines, most clustered in the Mojave Desert and the Gold Rush country of the western Sierra Nevada........

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2802775,00.html

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Abandoned desert mines dangerous

katrina island 1439April 07, 2005 03:30PM

Re: Abandoned desert mines dangerous

LaughingBear 610April 07, 2005 09:17PM

Wizard 588April 07, 2005 10:13PM

LaughingBear 649April 08, 2005 06:01AM

Wizard 1080April 08, 2005 01:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login