Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Wild and Scenic

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2002 11:54PM
I have spoken to some people with the California Wild Heritage Campaign about Deep Creek and the designation of "wild and scenic" River. They have told me that "wild and scenic" allows recreation and certainly hiking.

Within the designation of "wild and scenic" are the features that need protection. Such as Deep Creek is designated as a "wild and scenic" with Indian Cultural and Scenic as the features to be protected.

However, you can have an area under "wild and scenic" designated as "recreational".

Deep Creek should have had a "recreational" designation under the "wild and scenic" River. People have been recreating at Deep Creek for over 30 years.

Where this may become important is in the future and in the near future when the Forest Service prepares their management plan geared to protect the specific features at Deep Creek.

See after the bill passes, the Forest Service is to prepare a management plan geared to protect the named features of Indian Cultural and Scenic.

Indian Cultural and Scenic features of Deep Creek will have priority over recreation.

If we can have the recreational designation at Deep Creek made a part of the Senate bill, then we know that the recreational use of the area will also be a protected feature into the future.

This issue would need to be addressed to Senator Barbara Boxer's Office and Senator Dianne Feinstein.

I have someone at the Sierra Club who is making inquiries for me about the "recreational" designation and my questions about the impact at Deep Creek.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wild and Scenic

katrina island 1143July 25, 2002 11:54PM

Re: Wild and Scenic

Arizona Mike 629July 27, 2002 11:05AM

Arizona Mike 582July 27, 2002 11:45AM

DCR 982July 28, 2002 08:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login