Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Phone conversation with Ranger Brad Burns.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 06, 2002 10:16PM
I had the opportunity to speak with Ranger Brad Burns today in a phone call. I told him about our plans to work at developing a group of concerned DCHS visitors who would like to find some ways to help the springs. He was pleased to hear this and said he would appreciate very much any efforts that would benifit the springs. I told him that aside from simple activities like picking up trash or cleaning up fire pits etc. that if we did anything more involved that we would discuss it with the USFS first. I had been calling them the Forestry Dept. but Brad said that was a state organization. He is employed by the United States Forest Service so I will refer to them as the USFS from now on. I told him that since we are just starting to work on this well have to see how things develop and what we are realistically able to do. I asked him about my idea of a trash bin at the Forestry parking lot. He said that they prefer to keep things as a " pack it in-pack it out " situation at DCHS. I think now that organized clean up days are our best bet. I have a utility trailer that would be good for hauling trash and I was thinking that if I could get it down to the Forestry parking lot on the clean up day people could put what they have picked up in it and I could then take it to the dump. The only way I could get my trailer in is through Mike Castro property and through the gate that blocks the old road down to the forestry parking lot. I'd have to see if Mike and the BLM would allow this. Along with trash removal Brad suggested that fire pits be broken up and returning the fire pit area to a natural looking condition by burying the ashes and clean up the site. Brad also talked about the fact that the USFS is not happy with the tree planting down there. They are concerned as Viejo pointed out that these trees are non native and may cause problems in the area later. I told him that I have met who plants the trees and he suggested that we tell him that the USFS wants no more planting and are basically planning at some point to remove any non-native trees. He suggested that we tell the tree planter that he could contact Brad about the plantings since Brad does not know for sure what trees are being planted. I know the tree planter has larger things in mind for future plantings so to save him efforts for nothing it would be good if he was told soon. He did say that he appreciate the thing that is trying to be accomplished by these plantings. He said that he would like to see native things from the area planted but that this should be coordinated through the part of thier agency that deals with this subject. Possible project for the future. He also said he thought it was a good idea to try to talk to people who are camping and having fires to let them know that it is illegal. He emphasized that he didn't want anyone to get in a fight in trying to do this. If the people are dissagreeable then he prefers that they not be confronted. Brad also mentioned that he is planning on having a crew do some work to fill in the Route 3 trail. I had heard about this before and even though I find it dissappointing I feel part of what we are trying to start this oraganization for is to develop good relations with the USFS who oversee the well being of the springs. I told Brad I would be willing to help and he suggested that he would prefer that any volunteers on that issue would work in conjuction with his crew. he said he would let me know when they planned on doing this work. I told him I would inform our group members when this will occur in case anyone else wanted to volunteer. He did say that no areas where the Route 3 trail goes will be closed and that it will still be legal to access by that route. He expressed that they just don't want to see people building new trails with tools. He said that if people happen to walk across the land and a foot path by thier walking forms that this is not illegal. I was glad to hear that this area would not be closed. That canyon is a nice way to go. Brad said to give his phone number here on the forum so that anyone who might have questions could contact him. It is 909-337-2444 and then ask for Brad Burns. He has worked as a Ranger in the DCHS area for many years and I feel he will be a good person to work with. I'll also try to see if he has an e-mail where he takes messages. That might be a more convient way to contact him and not take up too much of his time. I'll let you know if I get one. Well there is probably something I've forgotten to mention and if so I'll bring it up later. It was nice talking to Brad and he was very friendly and helpful :-)
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Phone conversation with Ranger Brad Burns.

Wizard 1374May 06, 2002 10:16PM

Re: Phone conversation with Ranger Brad Burns.

Rick 742May 07, 2002 12:34AM

Wizard 858May 07, 2002 07:49AM

Ron 605May 07, 2002 09:57AM

DCR 662May 07, 2002 06:50PM

Wizard 664May 07, 2002 08:40PM

JOBE 667May 07, 2002 08:45PM

Wizard 1085May 07, 2002 09:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login