Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

What happened to Earthday Clean UP?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 21, 2002 12:30PM
Wizard has asked for a report on Earthday. Well I am not sure I know what happened. We were supposed to meet at the Carrows in Hesperia at 8:30. Not knowing exactly were the Carrows, was other than on Main street, I drove up from Orange and slowly made my way down Main street till I found it. By the time I realized it was on the left and pulled over to the turning lane I had past it and had to U turn and come back. I was just pulling in to the parking lot at 8:35 when I saw a Forrest Service truck followed by a blue truck pulling out of the other end of the lot. I tried to follow them but was caught by the light. Once the light changed I could not find their vehicles anywhere, so I first checked the spillway, but there was no one there, then I tried the Bowen Ranch road and drove in through JF4/JF3, but there was no vehichles there either. I assumed that with their 4W trucks they may have gone to the lower lot, so I decided to just meet them at the springs. Furthermore, I had my own trash bags so worst case scenario I could have my own cleanup day. On my way down I made several stop to pick up trash that I could see thirty or forthy feet below the trail. Each time I returned to the trail with significantly more trash than I had originally gone down to fetch. By the time I got to the springs I had a grocery bag and a quarter off trash. Now a few of you might think why carry it down only to have to cary it back out later. I tried the opposite last week, and when I was on the hike out found that I was not willing to do the extra effort to climb down the hill and back up when I was already sweating from the hike out. This way worked better and by the end of the day I had two whole bags of trash to take back home. The payoff included a working flashlight and a belt found not far from the trailhead, that I left all day for someone to pick up an then finally took with me on the way out.

As for the official party I asked as soon as I arrived around 10:00 a.m. and no one had seen them. I then asked several of the larger groups that arrived but it was not them. There were two large contingents from the Sierra Club that had hiked in from both directions and met at the HS, but no sign of the FS all day. The only clean up ocurring were by other individual volunteers like myself. So I still don't know what happened to the official party.

I on the other hand had my own clean up day, and had another great day at the springs. I did not leave till 8:00 p.m. as I had taken down a flashlight just in case, but the half moon iluminated most of my hike. At the peak of the day there must have been about 40 people down there. The presence of the SC turned the springs about 80% textile. There were also a few regulars and a couple of families with kids. The weather as usual was gorgeous in the low seventies with a pleasant cool breaze blowing. Another perfect day at OZ as Wizard would put it.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What happened to Earthday Clean UP?

Ron 1202April 21, 2002 12:30PM

Re: What happened to Earthday Clean UP?

JOBE 613April 21, 2002 01:20PM

Wizard 739April 21, 2002 11:15PM

katrina island 1204April 22, 2002 12:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login