Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (100% of Full)

Advanced

Future of Deep Creek is now

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 26, 2002 10:13PM
Today I called Skip Willis at (858) 524-0140 and spoke to him about the impact of a Wild and Scenic Rivers and/or Special Interest Area designation on Deep Creek.

I asked him what these designations would mean to Deep Creek?

Wild and Scenic Rivers would mean that Deep Creek would be protected 1/4 of a mile on either side. No camping, no motorized crossings. The wild and scenic nature of deep creek would be the determing factor in managing the area. He said they would evaluate the trends for use and if the use were to have a negative impact on the endangered species or the wild and scenic nature of Deep Creek, the Forest Service may seasonally close the area, restrict the use of the area or potentially block public use of the area. Negative human impact would include littering or human waste.

I asked him about the fact that there are no facilities at Deep Creek. He said that usually would mean that deep creek was not an established recreational area due to no facilities, it is also a way to limit human use.

Special Interest Areas would mean that their overall management actions would be geared toward preserving and maintaining the special interests. Deep Creek has been proposed as a special interest area for cultural, scenic and zoological aspects. He said that the Forest Service would scrutinize public use more carefully. The special interest aspects would be more important that maintaining public use at Deep Creek.

He said that more specific questions relating to Deep Creek should be referred to Ruth Wenstrom of the San Bernardino National Forest Office.

The contact information for the Forest Service is provided below. I again encourage you to attend public meetings, write letters, emails, phone calls, let these people know your opinion on these issues facing Deep Creek.

Forest Plan Update, USDA Forest Service,
10845 Rancho Bernardo Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92127.
Email: SoCalForests@fs.fed.us Fax: (858) 524-0130
Toll free information line: (866) 252-8846
Forest Plan Update Public Affairs Office (858) 524-0140
Website for San Bernardino National Forest
www.r5.fs.fed.us/sanbernardino
San Bernardino National Forest phone (909) 383-5588
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Future of Deep Creek is now

katrina 1315February 26, 2002 10:13PM

Re: Future of Deep Creek is now

mp 887February 26, 2002 11:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login