Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Forest Service / BLM

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 05, 2001 12:54AM
The Forest Service is having more public meetings. What has happened so far is that they had some public meetings concerning the updating of the management plan to consider endangered species. They have been researching and gathering information to develop this update. They have just issued the "scoping document" which would outline what they intend to accomplish. I have requested a copy of the scoping document and requested again to be advised of public meetings so I can keep you informed.

Next fall, the Environmental Impact Report is due to be released. Upon release there will be public comment and meetings. That is the next step in the process.

The BLM had a meeting last night concerning access which I attended. The BLM are still continuing with their mapping of all routes, trails, atributes, etc. in the desert. After this inventory is complete, there will be a process where they discuss the importance of certain roads and some roads may be closed based on environmental concerns (endangered species, erosion, etc.)

The County passed the RS2477 countywide asserting their right to access public lands on routes that existed in 1976. This means that RS2477 could override the closing of these roads.

The 10 areas that are closed to vehicle access are interim closures which were agreed to between the BLM and the Southwest Center for Biodiversity. Whether these areas will remain closed or closed will be decided during the finalizing of the West Mojave Management Plan.

The many groups of recreational users are threatening legal action over these access issues.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Forest Service / BLM

katrina 1335December 05, 2001 12:54AM

Re: Forest Service / BLM

rchan 1036December 06, 2001 11:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login