Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Bee hive on Bradford Ridge Trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 14, 2017 11:25AM
Helllo Katrina smiling smiley Yes I did ask that question in a post here, but since you did not respond I thought you had not seen it and so I deleted the message. I still regularly hike to Deep Creek, its such a beautiful environment and a great place to spend the day! I was there yesterday and in the heat of the mid day I sat under a magnificent Sycamore tree. Like many of them along the creek this one had a huge colony of ants that had their home base in the trunk of the tree. They all day come out of the void and go off in big lines up the tree, down the tree, everywhere. If you happen to get in the way of their activities, they will let you know and make sure you move winking smiley In the area where I was, downstream quite a ways from DCHS, there is in the creek a different kind of fish than you will find up by the springs. I sent a photo of one to the High Desert Wildlife Group and they identified it as a type of Yellow Sunfish. They are quite aggressive so you have to watch your " body parts " while dipping winking smiley

Also downstream there are areas around the dam where you come across current Beaver activity, like small dams and channels, cut trees, etc. There is a wonderful area of big scenic Cottonwoods right behind the Mohave Forks Dam, along the PCT. The west fork of the Mohave River is still flowing. Lots of big butterflies, red and blue dragon flies flitting around the ponds. Since it is so lush there are biting bugs too, midges and mosquitos. The creek was 82, great for a refreshing cool off smiling smiley

I guess you are still living up near Lake Arrowhead. The family and I passed by there on HWY 18 last weekend after attending a Big Bear Raw food gathering. I assume your phone number remains the same as before and I think its still in my address book. Just as a side note, my family and I went on a vacation out to Florida about a month ago and got to visit Joe on a couple of days. We spent half a day at Haulover Beach with him. Its a popular clothing optional beach just north of Miami. Take care Katrina, maybe we can do a visit up your way before too long. You might consider a hike in that area down by the dam. You can park on HWY 173 where the PCT crosses it and do a short hike back up the canyon to where the forest of trees and water is smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2017 10:34PM by Wizard.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bee hive on Bradford Ridge Trail

Katrinaisland1666July 10, 2017 10:30AM

juliankaye790July 11, 2017 07:20AM

Katrinaisland591July 13, 2017 11:48AM

Wizard561July 14, 2017 11:25AM

jobe595July 15, 2017 05:38AM

Wizard1078July 15, 2017 10:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login